60" at 8ft or 70" at 10ft? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-17-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am looking to replace my current 50" which currently sits 8 feet from my viewing area. I have two options. I could go with a 60" and keep it at the same 8ft distance, or if I want to go bigger I'd need to wall mount a 70" behind my media center which would be at 10ft from the viewing area.

I'm trying to figure out which one will give me the proper bang for my buck. I'm wondering if a 60" at 8ft would actually look larger to my eyes when I view it since it is closer than a 70" at 10ft? Hopefully my question is clear enough. I also include a photo of my current set up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I'd wall-mount it regardless, but is the front edge of your screen now really 24" from the wall? Assuming the audio console is 20-24" deep, and you've got your center channel in front of the display, it's probably only a foot...

Is there anything behind your primary seating location? Bigger screen would be even more important for other non-primary viewing areas. And really, you expected folks on AVS to recommend the smaller screen option?????? rolleyes.gifwink.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 PM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen33 View Post

I'm trying to figure out which one will give me the proper bang for my buck. I'm wondering if a 60" at 8ft would actually look larger to my eyes when I view it since it is closer than a 70" at 10ft? Hopefully my question is clear enough. I also include a photo of my current set up.

Why don't you make a scale drawing? - project a triangle from your primary viewing position that is 60" wide at 8' away, and compare this to the perceived width at 10' (like jautor, I'm skeptical that there's a 24" difference between the two positions you're considering) - the perception of screen size is all down to how much of your 'field of vision' it takes up. Obviously the screen dimensions are diagonal measurements, so you'll need to estimate the actual width of the different screens - I suspect that the 70" screen will be relatively 'smaller' (i.e. it falls inside of the lines projected from the 60" model), especially if it really is 24" back from where you would put a 60" flatscreen. [Or use a "Tan" calculation]

On the other hand, how about wall mounting your current TV (for regular viewing) and buying a pulldown screen and rear projector?? Looks like you could get at least 100" in that gap.....biggrin.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
A 60" tv at 8' will be slightly more immersive than a 70" tv at 10', but they are essentially the same.

post #5 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM
DGF

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

A 60" tv at 8' will be slightly more immersive than a 70" tv at 10', but they are essentially the same.

That's exactly what I was trying to describe - a picture definitely is worth a thousand words (maybe more)!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
110" at 14' is just about perfect..
post #7 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I appreciate the input from everyone and I got some great ideas. I know the picture doesn't look like it, but there is a lot of space between the TV and the wall. The way the media center TV stand is set up, there is a straight metal bar in the back that goes straight up to support the TV, but then where it connects to the TV the bar comes forward towards the viewing area at a 90 degree angle. I think the media stand was designed to get the TV closer to the viewing area without moving the media center closer to the viewing area if that makes sense. There is 22 inches of space between the TV and the back wall, not quite 2 feet, but pretty close. I also have the media stand about 6 inches out from the wall to allow room for the cords and power strips behind the TV.

Jautor, I'd agree, I"d be shocked to have anyone on here recommend a smaller set lol.

DGF, a projector would be great and it seems like the perfect fit for the space. It may be something to explore in the future and I"m sure there are easy ways to work around getting it set up even though our basement is finished with drywall ceilings.

Wow Spaceman, what a perfect diagram and explanation. That was exactly the size comparison I was looking for.

Thanks for giving me some things to think about and it's great to have knowledgeable input from everyone.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page