Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-18-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In search of some home theater setup advice. My two main goals:
  1. Make room look as good as possible: hide wires, not messy
  2. Keep components remote + controller available but out of reach of my small kids

My gear:
  • 50" LCD TV (HDMI in)
  • Yamaha receiver (big, bulky) with 5.1 Surround Sound
  • wired speakers: center, left and right, back left and right, and a big, heavy subwoofer. All three front speakers are pretty big / old fashioned (think 5" by 18")
  • PS3: HDMI into receiver
  • XBOX 360: HDMI into redeiver
  • all controlled via Logitech universal remote

My previous setup:
  • Ikea shelf system: two tall side shelves (holding left + right channels), top bridge shelf (center channel), low shelf with drawers for all of the components + controllers
  • TV on wall mount, wires run through wall down to floor, where they came back out behind low table
  • This setup was not ideal once my son was on the scene: he would power on and off the xbox all day.

My new setup is going to be in a basement and I want do it right. I might buy one of those newer thin speakers for the center channel so I don't have to make a hole in the wall or mount the big center channel speaker.

How have any of you dealt with your gear + small kids + remote access? Is it all about a lockable cabinet with a glass front? Where do you store your components, in general?

Thanks for any advice-
cgs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Once again, I will give a non-standard reply.

Don't work too hard at making the TV kid proof. Just keeping the remotes and components out of reach and plan your system to be adaptable to changing needs.

Your son my be young now, but by age 4 he will know how to operate your system better than you will. If you work too hard to make it inaccessible, he will simply work harder to get there. IMO it is better to risk a $70 BluRay player tray than to walk into the room and see how he has piled chairs and boxes to get up to the one you placed out of reach.

If you have issues with the gaming systems, then purchase a cheap DVD player for his needs and put it in reach. Be aware that at some point games are going to be attractive, especially if you give in to the temptation of buying a few kid friendly ones.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page