Is Reducing Sound Transmission in Just Part of a Basement Worthwhile? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I've done a lot of research regarding what needs to be done to achieve sound transmission reduction for a dedicated home theater, but I haven't run across a lot of answers regarding this problem when attempting to do it for only part of a full basement. If there is something out there, please direct me so I can look at the information. I understand the basic concepts of decoupling, absorption, adding mass, and damping. My question is, if I just do these in part of a basement, is it even worthwhile? Are there too many flanking paths that would defeat the purpose?

My main goals are to damp sound going into the adjacent bedroom and into the main floor. Here is the basement layout.

The south wall is the one with the couch against it. The room in the lower right hand corner of the diagram is a utility room.

Here is what I am planning to do with the main area of the basement:

1. Glue 2 inches of XPS insulation to the south and east foundation walls.
2. Put in steel studs on the south and east walls, leaving the stud cavities open.
3. Put up resilient clips and hat channel on the ceiling (will think about doing GG and second layer of drywall depending on expense, but headroom is also a concern).
4. Do resilient clips and hat channel along with double layer of drywall and GG on the bedroom wall adjacent to the main area.
5. Put up canister lights with backer boxes.
6. Put up R-13 or R-19 insulation in the ceiling joists and R-13 insulation in the bedroom wall adjacent to the main area.
7. Put in a recessed screen for use with a projector (any suggestions on how to damp sound with one of these?).
8. Install a solid-core interior door for the bedroom.

I would theoretically like to wall off the area where I will have the screen, but my wife is extremely hesitant to do this because it takes away the openness of the basement.

Any insights, including any changes to my plans to help with sound transmission reduction, would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Keeping in mind that REAL reason to decouple everything is to lower the noise floor INSIDE the room and that reducing the amount of sound getting out is only a happy coincidence, and that in an open concept room, you will have to compromise....

I did something VERY similar to what you are describing with very good results. I would suggest in your plan, to go ahead and put the R-13 in ALL the walls and to clip and channel the ENTIRE ceiling....including the bedroom and, yes, even the bathroom. Also you want to decouple ALL partion walls. I would not worry about the storage area. That is the one thing you can go back and do if you need to.

I am ABSOLUTELY happy with my results. My thought was to build the room as good as it can be, and then you have deal/live/compromise with the results, but the ROOM is as good as it can be. You can treat for sound and get the right equipment later. You do NOT want to have to go back and tear out drywall because you THINK it may be better. Do it right the first time.

My family room is directly above the theater and at it's worst. the floor vibrates (and my ceiling in the theater is just over 7') and people think we may be having another eartthquake and it sounds like distant thunder. This is during the Iron Man scene where he says " Ladies and gentlemen, for your consideration... the Jericho," and that's with the door to the basement open.

You CAN achieve great results if you are careful and sitck to your plan.
US Soccer Fan likes this.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 5 Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information Tom. I figured the recommendation was going to be redoing the entire basement eventually, but I was hoping for something easier (and cheaper!). smile.gif

So, I have some more questions then.

1. Is there a particular brand of clips and a particular brand/style of channel that works better than others? Is there a significant difference in quality and cost of the different brands of these materials?

2. Just to verify--I *don't* need to put clips and channel along the foundation walls, correct? I am assuming that because of the decoupling from the foundation walls with the 2 inches of XPS insulation.

3. Does anyone have a recommendation regarding sound damping materials for rectangular HVAC duct runs? Do I need any of these materials if I put in flexible duct?

4. What material would be recommended to put around outlet boxes, light switches, etc., for noise reduction?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Here's my .02.....

1) Contact Ted White at http://www.soundproofingcompany.com

2) I'm not the expert, but I DID and WOULD if I were you. You want all of the walls to resonate the same. Foundation walls are big and massive, but extremely stiff and transmit sound easily.

3) There are many, proably the most well known around this forum is the Linacoustic. You can use a sound controlled flex duct. I used a regular insulted flex duct from the local Big Box store.

4) They're called Putty Pads. Again, talk to Ted.
US Soccer Fan likes this.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for your help Tom. I'll see what Ted has to say.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page