LED downlights flicker/flash - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys.
Im wanting to know if anyone had or has this issue's and they solved it, because it really is giving me the sh$ts.

I had my ceiling redone, and while at it wanted to update the lighting situation, so i bought dimmable LED downlights.They were on special, normally $50ea.
http://www.lights2you.com.au/led-downlights/lightel-12w-wide-beam-led-downlight-complete-kit.html

The downlights came with theyre own led dimmable driver, and ive bought led dimmable switch that you can also use a IR remote to turn on/off/dimm etc, i use the logitech remote to control the lights and all works fine except the annoying flicker.
The power switch is a Varilight brand from UK that is made for LED.
http://www.varilight.co.uk/products/vpro-eclique.html

I have 4x down lights in front room and 8x down lights in rear room, they are 12w each lights.

The flickering or flashing is random, sometimes it can start within 10min and sometimes it will take an hour or more.
It can flicker for about 5sec or 10/15sec but never noticed it for any more then that.
It can flicker anywhere from 1 times in an hour or 5 times an hour, it really is random.

It doesnt help if i turn up the lights to max or min.
It is like someone is dimming the lights but at a much faster rate.
This is all happening while the lights are turned on. No issues when the lights are off.

I know lots of people would be using LED in theyre home theater by now, so wondering if anyone else is/had having issue's.
I know if i email the manufacturers they will most likely blame the other components.
Ive read people having issue's with dimmable switches so i may have to try non dimmable ones and see if that fixes it, but i would rather be able to dimm the lights as they are really bright at full max(which i only use for cleaning the room etc).

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 06:32 AM

In the discription of your dimmer it says "including many dimmable LEDs." Flashing usually indicated a dimmer issue.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

So its the dimmer modules in these switches that cause these issues? Ive been doing some reading and seems lots have these issues with dimmers.

Anyone know of other simple wall switches that have the ir remote and dimming capabilities that i could try?
post #4 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFXguy View Post

Flashing usually indicated a dimmer issue.
I would say it usually indicates a poor driver design unsuited for use with a triac based dimmer.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZMAN808 View Post

So its the dimmer modules in these switches that cause these issues?
The way to determine if the problem has to do with the dimmer is to replace it temporarily with a mechanical switch and see if the problem goes away.

Have you tried changing the operating mode of the switch you have now?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

I might just have to do that,but im really wanting a dimmer feature due to always needing to change the brightness depending what im doing in the room.

In the manual it states it has a automatic load detection as default and if i want i can override it.ive tried it and it still has the flashing issue, if anything its worst.
Is that the operating mode your talking about?
Other then it not going up and down as smooth as in auto mode i cant tell the difference between the two modes.
Cheers
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page