How to mount projector so it's not a rupture in the ceiling? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm in the process of building my basement and will have a 60" wall mounted LCD and a 100" drop down electric screen w/ BenQ W1070 projector. From what I've read I need to mount the projector 8'5" from the screen and 1' from the ceiling. I'd love to mount this so you don't see a big piece of equipment hanging from the ceiling especially because it will only be used for movies etc. What does everyone do? I can't mount it in the rear of the room(14') as the image would then be 300" . I could build a little drywall box around it to conceal it but then there's still a large box in the middle of the ceiling.

I'd love to do some sort of electric drop down but it would have to be a DIY as I'm not looking to spend $1,000+ on a pre bult system and I can't find too much DIY info out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
For a 100" screen, your projector could be mounted anywere from 8' 4" to 10' 11". If you put it at 14', it looks like you'd be in the range of a 129" screen (assuming 1.78:1)

As for the drop, that pj doesn't have much vertical shift. There won't be a lot you can do to hide it if you are set on a 100" screen.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #3 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not completely set on a 100" screen however the wall is only a bit over 10' where the screen will drop down. In addition to this there will be a large L shaped sofa I believe so the side perpendicular to the screen will probably not be an ideal location to watch a movie. I see to get to 129" @ 14' you have to max zoom, would that have an impact on image quality?

I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.firgelliforum.com/projects/view/68

My problem is the ceiling rafters are only 8" so I would need some type of Collapsible rail, something like the one below that is 7.9" when closed which would pull projector into ceiling and extends to 15.7" when open which would drop the platform down to usable height with a linear actuator.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pieces-3-Sections-Ball-Bearing-Sliding-Drawer-Slide-Rail-1-8-Width-/390573103518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aeff8999e
post #4 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The drop down is definitely workable. There are a few threads that have completed it to good results. Here is one:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387931/diy-projector-lift-with-limited-space

I'm not sure how the 1070 does at full zoom. You might try asking over at the W1070 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000

Some pretty knowledge folks over there.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #5 of 14 Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Well after searching/reading a ton I'm gonna give it a shot in the next few weeks. My only concern from what I've read now is using 4 sliding rails and getting them all aligned up correctly so they don't bind up upon raising/lowering. Hopefully the rails I linked above are good quality as they are the only ones I can find under 10" after several hours of internet searching. I won't be able to get this to completely retract into the rafters but it should be close.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr1 View Post

I'd love to do some sort of electric drop down but it would have to be a DIY as I'm not looking to spend $1,000+ on a pre bult system and I can't find too much DIY info out there.

I just joined the forum. Great stuff here. When I did my drop down system, I used electric actuators from these guys - www.actuatorzone.com. Honestly, they were affordable and the entire system worked like a charm before I had to take it down because of a move. Check them out if you're still in the market for a decent, affordable system. They went through the entire process of installation with me, too. I'm sure they might have some ideas. You'll spend under a grand, no problem.

Just some food for thought! smile.gif

Matt
post #7 of 14 Old 09-20-2013, 06:29 AM

Liked: 10
I think I'm looking for a similar installation with my pj...in that I would like it to drop down when needed.
Wondering if it can be done manually?
Is there such a thing as a sort of telescopic extension mount? Something like the extension used to raise/lower office chairs?
If not, it probably wouldn't be too hard to incorporate one into a pj ceiling mount?
post #8 of 14 Old 09-20-2013, 06:49 AM

Ahh, just saw what I think I'm looking for from peerless a-v - adjustable column bar.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 PM

Well, I found some mounts that should do the trick.
First time ever installing, looking around for guides/tips for ceiling mounts.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punjiman View Post

Ahh, just saw what I think I'm looking for from peerless a-v - adjustable column bar.
Can you provide a link?
Thanks
post #11 of 14 Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 AM

SKU 6209189 at BB

Actually now I'm wondering if this will work, because i'm not sure if it will get as short as I was hoping for.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 AM

Well I spent all my time getting the ceiling plate mounted properly, my next concern is the actual extension column I have.
How much weight can these things really hold?
It has two screws holding the length in place...one set screw and the other adjustable screw, both are M8 10mm screws.
Doesn't this translate to all the weight of my PJ (~20lbs) being distributed over these 2 -10mm screws?
post #13 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 AM

When you snug the screws down they force the sections of the tube together it is the resulting friction/contact that does the heavy lifting. Plus those screws are designed/sized with a good shear resistance so I wouldn't worry, as long as you don't end up swinging from the unit..... smile.gif
John
post #14 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 AM

Ahhh....makes sense. Thanks for the info, makes me feel better!
Actually, I didn't realize the PJ was only 18 pounds, felt closer to 30 pounds when I was installing it. Hmm....time to start doing some curls lol
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page