TV Niche Project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I currently have a 42" plasma mounted on a reticulating arm mount in a niche above my gas fireplace (pics coming once I am at my computer vice cell). The niche was designed for a small CRT TV (I'm guessing about 20"). My current setup is functional, but has some issues:
1. TV is out in the space about 10" which defeats thinness of the new technologies.
2. To access the DVD player, which is in the niche below the TV, I have to move the TV (not a big deal due to the arm but not optimal).
3. DirecTV box is above the TV and difficult to reach
4. Looks unfinished and somewhat crappy.

My wife is looking to remove the slate surrounding the fireplace and replace with glass tile. Since this will take some time and make a mess in out primary living space it seems like the time to tackle the niche.

Plan: Remove the current niche and build two niches. The lowest would be deep and hold DirecTV receiver and Blu-Ray. An upper niche woukd the shallow (guessing around 6") to recess the plasma. However, 42" is rather small today so I want the new niche to fit a 50" model. Will post plans once they are ready, now they are just pencil drawing in my project notebook.

Questions:
1. Is there a standard depth of niches for modern LCD/plasma TV's?
2. How much room does the set need on each side and above/below the TV for ventilation?

This system is only for routine TV and sports and is not used for HT other thanymy daughter watchung the occassional movie (no external speakers or subs). I have a PJ based HT in basement for serious movie viewing.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I did a search of the forum using multiple keywords but did not find the info I require (I am sure its there but this is my first foray into this area of AVSforum).

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 75
If you are having problems with a niche that was designed for an older/smaller TV then why would you want to put in another niche that in the future will be looked at as having been designed for an older/smaller TV? Leave the wall flat and surface mount your TV now... you'll have flexibility in the future and not be faced with another TV niche dilemma down the road. Aside from the future issues you have the ventilation concerns for now and if you are using TV speakers then essentially recessing the TV into a box is going to make the typically poor sounding TV speakers sound even worse.

The niche/cutout/shelving for the components might be ok and somewhat future proof but I would't try to recess the TV.

Pictures will help and may possibly change my opinion based on your space. But my first reaction is... don't do it.
NWCgrad likes this.

post #3 of 3 Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks for the advice. ..I hate to admit but I never thought of doing the wall flat and surface mounting the TV. frown.gif May be the best future proof way to go. The fireplace wall is 60" wide. I will post pictures soon.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page