Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi All,
I am looking to make add a dedicated circuit to my panel for all of my media gear in my bonus room. Reason is that the room is mixed use so part of it is the office and the other part is the media room. Currently this is all being run on one circuit. At the moment I have 2 computers, 1 htpc, 1 server, printer, monitors, receiver, xbox, wii, subwoofer, projector and lamps all being powered off of this circuit.

I have room in my panel to add the circuit and accessing my panel won't be an issue as I have access to run the wire to the panel to the room through the attic. One thing I am curious about is how to run the romex wires. Since this is a finished room it has insulation all around the room along with some thermo-ply behind the insulation. Do I need to run the romex wire in a conduit or through the studs or can I just run in along the thermo-ply?

Images of my bonus room from the attic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Have you ever tripped the breaker on the one circuit? If not, you don't NEED another one..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nope at the moment I have not but I have not started using my media equipment. Still in the process of running speaker wire, setting up projector and screen. I do need to at least add another outlet for the screen. Forgot to mention I also have a kegerator in that room as well.

My circuit is a 20A circuit. I guess it may not be necessary but in the future if needed would romex need to be run through studs or can it be along the stud.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-22-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

Nope at the moment I have not but I have not started using my media equipment. Still in the process of running speaker wire, setting up projector and screen. I do need to at least add another outlet for the screen. Forgot to mention I also have a kegerator in that room as well.

My circuit is a 20A circuit. I guess it may not be necessary but in the future if needed would romex need to be run through studs or can it be along the stud.

You would probably want to check with the local building codes. Not sure how I would deal with that insulation, wish I had that problem!

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have not seen anything in the local codes as of yet. At least from what I've read online. Looks like they follow NEC2011 code. I'll need to do some more digging but I think I should be 'ok' with running it in between the thermoply and along the stud instead of through. Otherwise I'd have to rip a lot out.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-20-2013, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

ROMEX® Brand Cable should be installed per NEC Article 334.  You can run wiring thru studs if you fulfill distance requirements of NEC Article 334.  For protection from physical damage you can run wiring in conduit per NEC Article 334.15(b).

You can now have free access to the NEC at http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/document-information-pages?mode=code&code=70.

This answer is intended to apply to Romex® Brand NM Cable.  For other NM cables, please check with those respective brand suppliers or cable manufacturers.  Romex® is a Registered Trademark of Southwire Company.

This communication is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute advice.  As all the facts and circumstances in any given situation may not be apparent, this communication is not intended to be, and should not be, relied upon by the reader in making decisions with respect to the issues discussed herein, and the reader assumes the risk if he or she chooses to do so. The reader is encouraged to consult an expert before making any decisions or taking any action concerning the matters in this communication. All warranties, express or implied, including warranties regarding accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, safety or usefulness of any information, ARE DISCLAIMED.  Southwire Company is not liable for any damages however caused and on any theory of liability arising in any way out of the information provided or the reader's use of it.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page