Home Theatre for Dummies... (ME) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-23-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello everyone, I found this forum and have been reading until my brain stopped soaking it in, maybe time for a break. I must say, you guys are amazing with your knowledge of HT. Some of you could likely make a career change. I would appreciate if you could offer some advice. I have a bonus room above my 4 car garage that I will be finishing this winter. Once I build knee walls, the room will be 19' wide by about 40' long. It will not be a dedicated theater as it will also have a bar, bubble hockey and likely a pool table. My wife is against putting up a wall to have a separate theater room, she is thinking ahead to when our kids are teens. All that being said, I want a nice theater area but given the room size and use, I am not trying to build out an amazing room where video and audio are perfect. The room will be framed in 2x6 and insulated and drywalled. I have been researching pj's and screens for the past week. I found a local guy who is moving and selling a Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 UB with a 120" Stewart FireHawk G3. He is asking $3000 for the pair. He showed receipt where he paid 7K in 2009. That got me thinking, being that the equipment is 4 years old, even though it was semi high end then, is the more entry stuff with todays technology just as good or better for cheaper. If so, I would appreciate suggestions, I really am new at all this. Also do any of the projectors that work well for watching movies also work well with fast paced gaming? I am sure I will have many more questions as I learn, but this is where I am starting. thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-23-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Don't buy any projector or electronics until the room is done and you're ready to use it. Projector technology evolves quite rapidly - a 4 year old projector (the Epson 1080UB was a fine piece!) would be outclassed by a new projector at probably half the MSRP.

That screen is very nice, but unless it's exactly the right size for your room, you shouldn't buy it and try to force-fit it later.

Also, on the "thinking ahead for the teenagers" - you should definitely consider dividing the room. Unless the entire space is to be devoted to a single activity at once - you want the theater separate. Meaning, if kids are playing pool or other games, you adults (or a different group of kids) won't be able to watch a movie. The noise and light are simply not compatible in the same room at the same time...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 4 Old 08-23-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly660 View Post

Hello everyone, I found this forum and have been reading until my brain stopped soaking it in, maybe time for a break. I must say, you guys are amazing with your knowledge of HT. Some of you could likely make a career change. I would appreciate if you could offer some advice. I have a bonus room above my 4 car garage that I will be finishing this winter. Once I build knee walls, the room will be 19' wide by about 40' long. It will not be a dedicated theater as it will also have a bar, bubble hockey and likely a pool table. My wife is against putting up a wall to have a separate theater room, she is thinking ahead to when our kids are teens. All that being said, I want a nice theater area but given the room size and use, I am not trying to build out an amazing room where video and audio are perfect. The room will be framed in 2x6 and insulated and drywalled. I have been researching pj's and screens for the past week. I found a local guy who is moving and selling a Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 UB with a 120" Stewart FireHawk G3. He is asking $3000 for the pair. He showed receipt where he paid 7K in 2009. That got me thinking, being that the equipment is 4 years old, even though it was semi high end then, is the more entry stuff with todays technology just as good or better for cheaper. If so, I would appreciate suggestions, I really am new at all this. Also do any of the projectors that work well for watching movies also work well with fast paced gaming? I am sure I will have many more questions as I learn, but this is where I am starting. thank you!

This forum is generally for the stuff around the theater; i.e. bubble hockey/etc. There are forums for screens and forums for PJs where you should be able to get more (and better) info.

The 1080UB came out in 2007 and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. PJs have just come too far since then, even though it was a nice PJ back then. The FireHawk was a hugely popular screen though and probably hasn't depreciated much at all. If you want a high end screen and its what you want I would negotiate for that but 3k is too much for the pair. I have a Panny PJ that I got in 08 that I can't sell for $200.

PJ gaming is VERY popular. There are several forums around here for that as well. Its a great forum, and WELCOME!
post #4 of 4 Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you for the advice. I watched a movie on a epson 5020ub and it was great. I would like that quality but don't care about the 3d.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page