Anyone want to help me build my home theater/general purpose TV room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So we are building a house and the basement will have a rec room that I am going to install surround sound in. I am not a huge movie guy but with quality speakers I am sure I will watch more movies. I will spend a lot of time watching sports and TV shows on in the room. Room is not huge but not small, I think the room is somewhere around 16x20' with 9' and 10' ceilings.

I will likely use my Panasonic 65VT50 and my Onkyo 818 receiver. So what I really have to pick out is the speakers and sub. For the aesthetics of the room I am going to use in wall speakers. My budget will be somewhere around 4-5k. So far I am thinking Klipsch in walls and either Rhythmik or SVS sub. Any preferences among the room? I was just planning on 5.1 but could be talked into going to 6.1 or 7.1. I just don't ever game or watch many movies. Thought it would serve me better to spend more money on fewer higher quality speakers.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post

So we are building a house and the basement will have a rec room that I am going to install surround sound in. I am not a huge movie guy but with quality speakers I am sure I will watch more movies. I will spend a lot of time watching sports and TV shows on in the room. Room is not huge but not small, I think the room is somewhere around 16x20' with 9' and 10' ceilings.

I will likely use my Panasonic 65VT50 and my Onkyo 818 receiver. So what I really have to pick out is the speakers and sub. For the aesthetics of the room I am going to use in wall speakers. My budget will be somewhere around 4-5k. So far I am thinking Klipsch in walls and either Rhythmik or SVS sub. Any preferences among the room? I was just planning on 5.1 but could be talked into going to 6.1 or 7.1. I just don't ever game or watch many movies. Thought it would serve me better to spend more money on fewer higher quality speakers.

Thanks in advance!

I would ask in the speaker forum as well for specific recommendations on in-walls but if you like the klipsch you could go with

Front/Rear 5x http://www.klipsch.com/R-5650-W-II/details $1745

Surround 2x http://www.klipsch.com/R-5650-S-II/details $758

Subs 2x http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv15 $1518

For a total of 4,021

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Could also do

Fronts 3x http://www.klipsch.com/kl-6504-thx-in-wall-speaker $2247

Sides 2x http://www.klipsch.com/kl-6502-thx-in-wall-speaker $998

Plus 2 of the PSA subs for $,47643 if you want less but better speakers.

I would think either system would be really good.

You could also look at in walls from Definitive Technologies, Polk Aodio (have an eBay store for discounts), Triad.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks. I was actually thinking about the Klipsh 5800 which are very similar to 5650 you listed above but use a 8" driver vs 6.5", I figure the 8" will give better range when paired with a large subwoofer that might not make it to the higher ranges.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post

Thanks. I was actually thinking about the Klipsh 5800 which are very similar to 5650 you listed above but use a 8" driver vs 6.5", I figure the 8" will give better range when paired with a large subwoofer that might not make it to the higher ranges.

Should be good

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page