Is this equipment outdated? - AVS Forum
1 2 
General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms > Is this equipment outdated?
FensterBos's Avatar FensterBos 04:57 PM 08-25-2013
My wife and I purchased a home that had a home theater included in the purchase. Today was the first day that I had a chance to actually look at the equipment and to give the projector a test run. There is no doubt in my mind that the seller purchased the highest quality equipment at the time; unfortunately I think that time was 2002. I wanted to connect either my PS3 or my Verizon HD box to either the receiver and/or the projector, but was unable to find any HDMI ports available on any piece of the equipment, besides the back of the projector (see photos). To skip ahead, I was unable to find a way to test out the quality of the projector.

Quick note: there are hdmi ports on the back of the projector; however they were not used and I don't want start snaking cords through the ceiling if I don't have to, just yet.

I have a decent knowledge in AV equipment and have even set up my own low-end home theater at my previous address, but I have zero familiarity with this equipment. There are also two DVD players and a VHS - so, yeah. I am prepared to replace equipment to be compatible with new players/technology; my question is would I be better off selling some of the equipment and replacing it with high-quality, up to date equipment?

Equipment in question:
Lexicon MC-12 (not "HD")
Faroudja DVP5000
Vidikron Vision One B

Thank you for your help.

jautor's Avatar jautor 07:17 PM 08-25-2013
In it's day, that was all awesome gear. Now - unfortunately, all "functionally obsolete". But if it works, no reason you can't enjoy it. If the setup doesn't include a Blu-ray player, pick up a used one that's two or more years old that has component video outputs. The PS3 should have component output with a special Sony cable. You'll be able to attach it and use the stuff. An HD set-top box will have component video outputs as well, so you can view cable/sat stuff in HD as well.

But any upgrade(s) are going to require replacing all of it, and I don't think there's going to be much resale value - although you might check in the high-end projector forum to see if there's anyone interested in that Vidikron unit. The issue with those high-end CRTs is that they require care and feeding to keep them looking good. I'd suggest you find another enthusiast nearby to show you the ropes.

And be careful - that projector weighs in at 200 pounds!

Jeff
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 09:49 PM 08-25-2013
The Faroudja retails around $30k http://www.dreamhomecinema.com/GEN/PRODUCTS/Faroudja/Faroudja%20DVP5000.html

Review on the M-12 http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/lexicon-mc12-ssp-v4-12-2004.html, retailed around $13k

Review on the Vision one from 1999 http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-front-projectors/crt-projectors/vidikron-vision-one-crt-projector.html retailed around $50k, $25k with the quadrupler, $30k if it does not have the auto convergence.

I would say at the original owners sinking around $95k into that setup, they got their money worth. The DVP is the newest piece of gear in that setup and well worth the cost of investment that they put into their setup. I would say that you got a good deal on that buy. As long as it all works, keep it and run it until it dies.
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 02:44 PM 08-26-2013
Yes. The projector is certainly not worth the effort. Don't forget there is a "cost of ownership". For that particular CRT projector to be at its best will require CRT convergence to be done and the convergence will change over time. From a quick read of articles it is something best left up to an ISF certified installer. There are a few threads on this forum about difficulties with this projector and convergence. Also the CRT guns will degrade over time.

The real bottom line is that your setup is really seriously extended standard definition (2800 x 2100) which is 4:3. That is more lines than a 1080p signal (1920x1080) but with a different aspect ratio. It's truly impressive for its era or even 5 years later but it isn't a true HD picture.

Unfortunately a $4K JVC LCOS projector will be significantly sharper with an HD source and easier to maintain with close to the same black levels (not sure on the color gambit after reading some reviews).

Also remember that without HDMI, any new Blu-Ray player you purchase will likely have either no component video outputs or ones that can only output 480i. The 480i can be upscaled to 1080p but it is still an upscale.

One final warning - when you try to take that projector down - it is really (really) heavy.

Good article here:
http://audiophilereview.com/high-end-audio/whats-a-vidikron-vision-one-worth.html
airscapes's Avatar airscapes 02:53 PM 08-26-2013
Is your goal to rebuild your home theater? Do you have equipment currently to install in the theater? If not, and this stuff works, why not enjoy it for a while? Just because it is old does not mean it is can not be used if it works. There are still people still buying CRT projectors as when they are set up correctly produce a more pleasing picture than current technology or so they say.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 04:01 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Yes. The projector is certainly not worth the effort. Don't forget there is a "cost of ownership". For that particular CRT projector to be at its best will require CRT convergence to be done and the convergence will change over time. From a quick read of articles it is something best left up to an ISF certified installer. There are a few threads on this forum about difficulties with this projector and convergence. Also the CRT guns will degrade over time.

The real bottom line is that your setup is really seriously extended standard definition (2800 x 2100) which is 4:3. That is more lines than a 1080p signal (1920x1080) but with a different aspect ratio. It's truly impressive for its era or even 5 years later but it isn't a true HD picture.

Unfortunately a $4K JVC LCOS projector will be significantly sharper with an HD source and easier to maintain with close to the same black levels (not sure on the color gambit after reading some reviews).

One final warning - when you try to take that projector down - it is really (really) heavy.

Good article here:
http://audiophilereview.com/high-end-audio/whats-a-vidikron-vision-one-worth.html
You do realize that projector can be switched between 4:3 or 16:9. Since they have the Faroudja, it lead me to believe that it was setup for 16:9. That stuff was top of the line when it was installed, not low end gear. If the original owner had it maintained throughout the years, it should still work like it did day one.
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 04:20 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

You do realize that projector can be switched between 4:3 or 16:9. Since they have the Faroudja, it lead me to believe that it was setup for 16:9. That stuff was top of the line when it was installed, not low end gear. If the original owner had it maintained throughout the years, it should still work like it did day one.

CRT projectors require regular maintenance. Also I've never seen a CRT projector (even with 3 - 9" CRTs) that will look as sharp as a pixel-based LCOS engine.

BTW, since you are attempting to correct me (without anyone really asking asking you to), should I bring up that impedance issue you had last week? Remember 0 Ohms = no resistance = short circuit.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 04:48 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:

CRT projectors require regular maintenance. Also I've never seen a CRT projector (even with 3 - 9" CRTs) that will look as sharp as a pixel-based LCOS engine.

BTW, since you are attempting to correct me (without anyone really asking asking you to), should I bring up that impedance issue you had last week? Remember 0 Ohms = no resistance = short circuit.
Did you not read what I posted. It is obvious with this off the hip remark. BTW, no one is attempting to correct you, just filling in the blanks that you left, and the fact that you are incorrect on that model. If you took the time to read the info I pulled for the OP, you were way off on what the equipment they "inherited" is capable of.

The person that paid for it originally knew what they were buying and it is obvious that it was taken care of and maintained, if it is still working even today at its age. They got a very good deal on at the time the original owner purchased it, spent well over $93,000.00 for all that gear, it was state of the art back then.

Personally I would not go with LCOS, since it is a dead technology at this point, and never really took off as they thought that it would. I would stick with the gear they have, have a licensed Vidikron dealer come out, or even the company that installed it if they are in business, and go over everything.

Even at this age for the Faroudja, they are not going to get anything close to $1,000.00 for it, but if it is still working along with the other gear, run it until it dies, shop around still for new gear to replace each piece. And yes at 195 pounds, that Projector is a beast, but at the time it came out, along with the rest of the gear the OP has, it was considered top of the line gear.
weaselfest's Avatar weaselfest 05:01 PM 08-26-2013
If you are going to upgrade, I wouldn't waste any time liquidating. Your Lexicon MC-12 is selling for righteous bucks on the 'bay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexicon-MC-12-Digital-Controller-Home-Theater-Audiophile-Preamp-w-Rack-Mount-/350858639953?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item51b0cdfa51
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 05:14 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:

Personally I would not go with LCOS, since it is a dead technology at this point, and never really took off as they thought that it would.

Had a good laugh over that statement. Try these links (all 2013 models):

http://procision.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=140

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-projectors/cat-ultrahires/

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/projectors/lcos_projectors

BTW, please don't "fill in the blanks" for me. I'll get someone else to do that, if it is needed. State your opinion and let others state theirs'.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 05:26 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:

Had a good laugh over that statement. Try these links (all 2013 models):

http://procision.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=140

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-projectors/cat-ultrahires/

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/projectors/lcos_projectors

BTW, please don't "fill in the blanks" for me. I'll get someone else to do that, if it is needed. State your opinion and let others state theirs'.
If you do not like others opinions, then do not reply to those, otherwise it makes you alk3997 look as the lower class person. BTW, you do realize the technology those projectors use is the nextgen of LCOS, which was rescued, due to again it is in its original design a dead technology, and still is not going lower in price, is why you do not see the average consumer running out to purchase it.

If you wish to argue about this, you are welcome to start a new thread, but I am not going to go back and forth with you on something, that it is easy to do the homework to see that the direction you are leading the OP in, may not be what they are looking at.

All they did was come here to ask if the existing equipment that they inherited will do what they want, and how to connect their Blu-Ray player, not get arguments about what technology is better, or beat up the equipment they have.

The one thing I really hate on these boards, is that you get the likes of you that want to argue about pointless stuff, and when people like me start making opinions about the opinion of your likes, or point out short comings of what you are trying to lead the OP down, you get all upset, because someone challenged you on your idea or generalizations or opinions.

I say let the OP ask about what they may find out there, and how it compares to what they got during the buy of the house, not lead them into something they may not like, or agree with.

BTW, you also may want to do some search on the term of why LCOS is considered by some as a Dead Technology, and why such as the equipment you linked, that it is only still at a very high price point. That in itself is why LCOS never took off, because the costs are still too high, even ten years later, when it should have been as projected back in 2006, that it was supposed to be equal or less than Plasma TV's were selling for in 2007, due to the life of Plasma's were seen as leaving the market within five years at that time.

Do not get me wrong that LCOS has its pluses more than minuses, but it still comes out as a very expensive technology that will not get any further than they have, and are hanging on by a thread at this point. The last time LCOS equipment was even reviewed was in 2011. This is about the most recent review on DLP vs. LCD vs. LCOS that I can find
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57582243-221/dlp-vs-lcd-vs-lcos-projector-tech-pros-and-cons/
Yes you lose the Screen Door or Rainbow effect that you get with DLP, but cost is still the killer with LCOS.
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 05:48 PM 08-26-2013
So when you can't argue with facts, you go to insults instead? Very very sad...

So dead technology (no caps) is something that people pay a lot of money for? Which means, of course, that they really want it. Doesn't sound dead to me. Did you want to try to rephrase?

Yogi Berra once said, "People don't go to that restaurant anymore - it's too crowded". In this case it's, "That's dead technology. People pay a lot of money for it." Now I find this humorous again.

BTW, did 2013 occur before 2011 since CNET has multiple 2013 reviews for LCOS-based projectors like these JVCs?
http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-7858_7-0.html?query=jvc+projector&searchtype=products&rpp=10&filter=500138=127937|

And, before I forget, open circuit = infinite resistance. It's good to know.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 06:22 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:

So when you can't argue with facts, you go to insults instead? Very very sad...

So dead technology (no caps) is something that people pay a lot of money for? Which means, of course, that they really want it. Doesn't sound dead to me. Did you want to try to rephrase?

Yogi Berra once said, "People don't go to that restaurant anymore - it's too crowded". In this case it's, "That's dead technology. People pay a lot of money for it." Now I find this humorous again.

BTW, did 2013 occur before 2011 since CNET has multiple 2013 reviews for LCOS-based projectors like these JVCs?
http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-7858_7-0.html?query=jvc+projector&searchtype=products&rpp=10&filter=500138=127937|

And, before I forget, open circuit = infinite resistance. It's good to know.
The only one I see being insulting is you Alk3997. Argue truth from fact vs. fiction, or why this technology has never taken off, I can do that all day long and pull up factual information to show that why consumers have never adopted LCoS, due to the higher costs of the technology, compared to DLP & LCD. It was even stated at the beginning when the technology was being introduced that there was doubt that the adoption rate would be high, due to consumers tend to go with lower costs, and only a very small niche go with higher cost tech.

So if you want to insult people, you are doing a good job of it alk3997, since it is obvious you cannot tell the difference between showing facts and not arguing, then what you are doing. Again, you want to discuss this elsewhere, start a new topic on it, and see how many join in on your one sided discussion without pulling any facts to back up what you are trying to prove, and I will sit back to observe how it goes.

As for the whole Open Circuit vs. Infinite resistance, keep that in its own topic. BTW, in a Open circuit, it will always be Zero, because there is no way to measure any resistance in the circuit, because there is no closed loop, but they have always stated it as infinite, because that is the way Mathematicians think. The whole use of Infinite is to state that there is no number to put with the output, so you can state that the outcome is infinite, due to that there are too many variables. But when you cannot come up with an conclusion, you can state that you have no number to put with it, because it is inconclusive as to what it should be, so there is no way to put a number to the outcome, because you do not have enough information to make a decision.

The whole meter reading argument that those who cannot see the Forest for the Trees, do not see the reasoning why meters still state Infinite, when you cannot make a connection between the probes, due to how they have been designed, which they will state infinite, due to they cannot decide what the number should be. Where as in a Short circuit, it will state Zero, due to again, the resistance is undecided, so the meter cannot again decide what it should be, and due to there is nothing to resist the reading that the meter is using voltage from the battery to try and create a reading to decide, it will state Zero, because again it cannot decide what it is, because it is too far beyond what it was programmed, and cannot come up with a variable to decide what it should be.

BTW, you may want to look up what "Theoretical Mathematics" or "Pure Mathematics" is, because that is what you are doing when you are calculating or attempting to figure out the equation of what a circuit will be, due to you only know certain items of what you are looking at, when attempting to figure the output of the reading, when using test equipment. Ohm's law is based on Classical Mechanics, which deals with motion and System of Forces. Of course, all of this will be over your head, as it was in the last thread, and previous posts in this, so suggest you stop while you are behind.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 06:30 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:

http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-7858_7-0.html?query=jvc+projector&searchtype=products&rpp=10&filter=500138=127937|BTW, those are not reviews, those are prices of products, so nice try there.

Glimmie's Avatar Glimmie 06:47 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:

As for the whole Open Circuit vs. Infinite resistance, keep that in its own topic. BTW, in a Open circuit, it will always be Zero, because there is no way to measure any resistance in the circuit, because there is no closed loop, but they have always stated it as infinite, because that is the way Mathematicians think. The whole use of Infinite is to state that there is no number to put with the output, so you can state that the outcome is infinite, due to that there are too many variables. But when you cannot come up with an conclusion, you can state that you have no number to put with it, because it is inconclusive as to what it should be, so there is no way to put a number to the outcome, because you do not have enough information to make a decision.

The whole meter reading argument that those who cannot see the Forest for the Trees, do not see the reasoning why meters still state Infinite, when you cannot make a connection between the probes, due to how they have been designed, which they will state infinite, due to they cannot decide what the number should be. Where as in a Short circuit, it will state Zero, due to again, the resistance is undecided, so the meter cannot again decide what it should be, and due to there is nothing to resist the reading that the meter is using voltage from the battery to try and create a reading to decide, it will state Zero, because again it cannot decide what it is, because it is too far beyond what it was programmed, and cannot come up with a variable to decide what it should be.

BTW, you may want to look up what "Theoretical Mathematics" or "Pure Mathematics" is, because that is what you are doing when you are calculating or attempting to figure out the equation of what a circuit will be, due to you only know certain items of what you are looking at, when attempting to figure the output of the reading, when using test equipment. Ohm's law is based on Classical Mechanics, which deals with motion and System of Forces. Of course, all of this will be over your head, as it was in the last thread, and previous posts in this, so suggest you stop while you are behind.

Why can't you just cut the BS and admit you were wrong. Now you're trying to twist out of it with some mathematics mumbo jumbo you dreamed up. You want to argue advanced mathematics with the EEs and MEs now?

Ohm meters read the way they do because that's how resistance works. It's been that way since they were invented. You were the one who stated I and others have no practical experience with test equipment yet you have been proven wrong without a doubt. You obviously don't know how to use an ohm meter and I believe you have never even worked with one. I must also now question your former claims of advanced electronics service in the Navy. The Navy electronics training is actually very good and you would never have passed on based on your recent statements of electrical resistance.

The more you argue on these forums the more you prove how much you don't know.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 07:06 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Why can't you just cut the BS and admit you were wrong. Now you're trying to twist out of it with some mathematics mumbo jumbo you dreamed up. You want to argue advanced mathematics with the EEs and MEs now?

Ohm meters read the way they do because that's how resistance works. It's been that way since they were invented. You were the one who stated I and others have no practical experience with test equipment yet you have been proven wrong without a doubt. You obviously don't know how to use an ohm meter and I believe you have never even worked with one. I must also now question your former claims of advanced electronics service in the Navy. The Navy electronics training is actually very good and you would never have passed on based on your recent statements of electrical resistance.

The more you argue on these forums the more you prove how much you don't know.
Why don't you admit to yourself that you like to stalk others on these boards, and wth does this comment have to do with the OP request. Like I told your buddy, you want to have a discussion we will have a discussion, but start a new topic, then muddling up this thread.

Only people that state out right that they made a mistake are those that bow down to the likes of you and your buddy. As for mumbo jumbo, yep, keep dreaming Glimmie, and realize that carrying this on in this thread which has nothing to do with it, or which direction in the sky the sun rises, I consider this topic over and done with, even though you want to continue a petty argument, because that is how you were let to get away with stuff when growing up, and due to people that know better, know when to stop, like myself.

Again, you want to have a discussion, we will have a adult discussion, but this shows right here how low your maturity level is, and the fact that you follow my posts, like a few others on here, just to muddle up other topics, and to be a Troll. So like I told your buddy Sam64 so many times that I cannot count now, GO AWAY!!

BTW to let you know, I passed my courses in the Navy and even came out with the rank and qualifications to show that I know what my abilities are, and what they were when I was in the Navy over 26 years ago, along with the fact that I dealt with having the responsibility of all gear onboard the ship that my rating required me to maintain and repair, and along with qualifying other enlisted personal on the maintenance and repair of said multi-million dollar equipment.

But I do not see myself going on these forums trolling other posters and arguing what they posted, because I have nothing else to do in my life, like you have shown. So again, find another body on here to try to intimidate or bully, because as far as I am concerned you do not exist. If you want to reply to a topic I posted in, reply to the others, not anything I post, or attempt to correct without something to back up what I stated that is fact, that I made a mistake. Otherwise, go away little one.
Mike Lang's Avatar Mike Lang 07:16 PM 08-26-2013
Both of you...enough.
Tedd's Avatar Tedd 05:30 AM 08-27-2013
You should head over to www.curtpalme.com and ask your questions. First step, would be to remove the lenses and check out tube wear.

Seeing as the pj has hdmi inputs, why not just try it out with a Bluray player, PS3, or a computer (set to 1920x1080P)? Could be a nice and very inexpensive setup.
Liquidate the rest of the gear and get yourself a receiver with hdmi switching
jautor's Avatar jautor 08:50 AM 08-27-2013
I don't believe there's any digital (HDMI or otherwise) inputs on that projector...
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 09:28 AM 08-27-2013
Here's a good reference that might help on the projector:

www.curtpalme.com/docs/VidikronVisionOne_Brochure.pdf

It looks like it comes with RGB plus dual sync with an option to have triple sync inputs. The scanning frequencies look fast enough for an HD signal. To my surprise the brouchure even states it will support HD with dual sync.
Quote:
Compatible with all HDTV decoders having separate H & V sync. Adaptable to tri-level sync decoder with optional accessory.

My concern would be if you used it for 1920x1080 and then scaled that to 2800x1572 (keeping the same aspect ratio), I believe you would lose more than 40% of the light output (equation is (1572 / 2100) ^ 2)). And, CRT projectors were notoriously dim to begin with. On the plus side it does have a built-in 16:9 mode.

The best advice was what Tedd said,
Quote:
"You should head over to www.curtpalme.com and ask your questions. First step, would be to remove the lenses and check out tube wear."

Tedd's Avatar Tedd 10:04 AM 08-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post

Quick note: there are hdmi ports on the back of the projector; however they were not used and I don't want start snaking cords through the ceiling if I don't have to, just yet.

I know there's aftermarket hdmi input options for Sonys and Barcos, and there's always the HDFury line if those aren't hdmi ports (and some hdcp strippers out there).
You must have avoided the crt portion of the HT learning curve. wink.gif
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 10:14 AM 08-27-2013
I don't see any HDMI port on the pictures. But the pictures are washed-out in sections.

Maybe the OP mistook the RS-232 or the controller connectors for HDMI??
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 10:30 AM 08-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I don't believe there's any digital (HDMI or otherwise) inputs on that projector...
Everything feeds through the Lexicon to the Faroudja is why. It is older equipment, is why it has only Component.

Problem is that the resale on it all for each is less than $500, so the OP will not get much for it.
Tedd's Avatar Tedd 11:06 AM 08-27-2013
If there are amps there, then an Oppo 105 and a HDFury could be a manageable out of pocket cost, after selling the Lexicon, scaler, and dvd players.

This would give you 1080P, scaling, two additional hdmi inputs, and a DAC, and high definition codecs.
jautor's Avatar jautor 11:19 AM 08-27-2013
A 2010 model, two-year old BD player with native component video outputs would be a LOT cheaper and probably give a better image quality than going through the HDFury process... Same unit with 5.1 analog audio outputs and on-board DTS-MA decoding would be a really good match. Look at the Panasonic BD85 or similar model.

And to repeat, his set-top box should already have component video, and there should be a cable-only component video solution for the PS3.
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 11:24 AM 08-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

A 2010 model, two-year old BD player with native component video outputs would be a LOT cheaper and probably give a better image quality than going through the HDFury process... Same unit with 5.1 analog audio outputs and on-board DTS-MA decoding would be a really good match. Look at the Panasonic BD85 or similar model.

And to repeat, his set-top box should already have component video, and there should be a cable-only component video solution for the PS3.

Yep. Add an OPPO BDP-93 or BDP-95 (or the Panny you mentioned) and he should be able to send HD and listen to 5.1 (as long as the Blu-Ray disc manufacturers don't enable the dreaded ITC). The real question is still how much alignment is needed and how dark of a picture will result (and of course no 3D, if that is really important).
Tedd's Avatar Tedd 05:45 PM 08-27-2013
The Panasonic has no RGBHV that I expect the crt pj will require. Ditto for the cable box.

That Faroudja scaler is very dated, but likely acts as a transcoder. The HDFury series works far better then you give it credit.
He could keep the Faroudja scaler with the cable box and dvd players on it, and switch via the crt's inputs and use the second RGBHV input with the
HDFury but a HDFury with two hdmi inputs is a better solution.

The PS3 has stereo analog outs, and spdif, but you need hdmi if you want hd codecs.

The BP85 is a solid midrange Bluray player though.... The 105 suggestion was based on the hdmi inputs so 105 could act as a small prepro, with the analog out to
the amps.

If there is indeed a hdmi input on the pj, then the question really is, what hdmi flavor?
jautor's Avatar jautor 06:12 PM 08-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

The Panasonic has no RGBHV that I expect the crt pj will require. Ditto for the cable box.

Neither does the Lexicon or any of the other sources - but the Faroudja does. So he's covered.
Quote:
That Faroudja scaler is very dated, but likely acts as a transcoder. The HDFury series works far better then you give it credit.

Didn't intend to say it didn't do a good job, but a cheap BD player outputting component vs. the HDFury doing the same thing for a few hundred more, probably gets to the same results.
Quote:
The BP85 is a solid midrange Bluray player though.... The 105 suggestion was based on the hdmi inputs so 105 could act as a small prepro, with the analog out to
the amps.

The additional HDMI inputs could be useful, but since the rest of the equipment will have component outputs, he'd be better off applying that additional $700 (new Oppo plus HDFury) to a full upgrade...
Quote:
If there is indeed a hdmi input on the pj, then the question really is, what hdmi flavor?

PJ is way too old to have HDMI. If may have had a chance at a DVI input, but the specs don't show any digital inputs.

Jeff
Tedd's Avatar Tedd 08:41 PM 08-27-2013
The Vision One is a Marquee 9500LC or 9500LC Ultra (depending on the model year), with a Pininfarina custom case.
There is at least one hdmi input card available for it. So the pj might very well have a pair of hdmi 1.3 inputs.

http://www.curtpalme.com/VIM-FULLHD.shtm

the manual:

http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/vim_fullhd_v30.pdf

Still like the Oppo BDP-105 as prepro, with the Lexicon (and component gear) paying for a chunk of the 105. If the cable box has no
hdmi, then sell it too, and grab one a used one with hdmi. If there's no amps to go with that Lexicon, then go with a good hdmi 1.3B receiver.

My very first step would to be to access the tubes and caps of the Vision One. The pj might very well do you for awhile, while you save for
a digital projector.

BTW, crt pjs can even do 3D. Not too shabby for an antique, eh?
jautor's Avatar jautor 10:00 PM 08-27-2013
Well, that's interesting... The projector almost certainly has no HDMI input as it sits - but if that upgrade card is available and works for that model for that price, that certainly changes things. Definitely a path worth investigating!
1 2 

Up
Mobile  Desktop