How low is too low for your TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I know that it's recommended to keep the TV at eye level, but I'm wondering if there's a consensus on how low is "too low."

I'm currently looking at this from Ikea, which I mainly want because of its 6 slots for components.

It is for a 50" Panasonic S64 that I'll be sitting about 7 feet away from.It should be perfect for me with the 360, PS3 (got it from a friend for super cheap smile.gif ), Wii, Wii U, BD Player/Receiver, and maybe a center speaker.

However, I noticed it's only about a foot tall. Is this going to be too low for normal TV viewing, assuming I have a normalish sized couch? The couch is about three feet tall I believe.

Will this stand be too low, or should I look into putting some other sort of shelf on top of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Do you have the tv already? If so, temporarily place it on something that is 12" high and see how it feels to you. I have a 50" plasma on top of a 20" high console and when sitting on the couch, my eyes are even with the middle of the screen. For me, it would feel too low with a 12" high console. Have you considered wall-mounting the tv above this console?

Are those shelves removable/adjustable? If not, I think you will have a hard time fitting a receiver in one of those cubbies. If it does fit, make sure there is sufficient ventilation. The website should have dimensions of the openings.

I also don't think you will fit a center speaker in one of the cubbies, but if you could, you probably wouldn't be happy with the acoustics since it will be so low to the ground. I think placing it on top and angling it slightly up would be a better solution. However, this might only be possible if you wall-mounted the tv..
post #3 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 109
One other thing to consider. Does anyone who will be watching the display on a regular basis wear glasses with progressive lenses? Nothing worse than having to tilt your head in an uncomfortable position to avoid looking though the reading portion of the glasses, especially if you recline.
We sit about 9' from a 46 inch display that I just mounted on the wall, wife had me position it so the bottom was 42" from the floor. She sits in a rocking recliner and does not wear glasses.. This position also works for me with glass but not reclined. See before and after photos in my signiture if interested.

110" at 14' seating is 31" off the floor.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

1.) I'm thinking I'll have enough room....the BD Player/Receiver is a little under 17" wide (it's not far off from the size of an original PS3) and about 3 inches tall. It's a Sony BD player/HT In a Box that has a couple of HDMI inputs on the back. The TV unit is a little over 70 inches, with three columns of compartments. If I take the dividers into account, I figure I conservatively have about 20" to play with in each slot. The front speaker is also about a foot long and isn't very big. I got this BD Player/Speakers at an incredibly cheap price, open box from Best Buy. It's obviously not high end or anything, but it's certainly not bad for $40 (originally $250).

2.) Regarding ventilation, the TV unit does have a vent built into the back, which I'm hoping will cool things down. What I'm hoping to do is keep the hotter components (the PS3 and the 360) away from each other. Do you think that would still be an issue? There's no door or anything in front of the components so I'm hoping that heat wouldn't really get trapped in there.

3.) I am not planning on wall mounting the TV. Partially because I'd like to put as few holes in the wall of the apartment as possible, and partly because the wires do not fall down from the TV or from the side - they plug into the back.

So, please keep in mind this is a pretty cheap setup for my apartment, which I'm moving into at the end of September. I can't really crank up the volume very loud. I'm still not 100% sure if I'm even bringing the speakers, to be honest. I'm 90% positive I'll have enough room for my components, and I suppose if the TV is too low, I can always get something to go on top of the TV stand.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't think you can go to low. Ideal is eye height or lower. Even if it's on the floor would be OK, if you could tilt it so the angle is flat when looking at it from your seating position.

Samsung UN60ES8000, MartinLogan Theos & Stage, B&M CM9 surrounds, Denon 3313, Roku 3, AppleTV, Chromecast, PS4 (SubSolar), Xbox One (SubSolar0)
post #6 of 11 Old 09-11-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

A friendly user has been great to me and measured the cubbies inside the TV stand. They are 22" wide, which is great because my widest component is a Sony Blu-Ray player that measures 17" wide. So I'm feeling good about fitting in the following:

Sony BD Player
PS3
XBox 360
Wii U
Center speaker (about a foot long)
Possibly the Wii (which will likely get moved to the bedroom for Netflix and movie watching)

I also think the vent in the back would be good for preventing the PS3 or 360 (newer model) from getting too hot, although if you think this feature doesn't really do anything, I'd love to know.

The concern I have is still that it will be too low. Does anyone know if Ikea has some sort of shelf or other component that can be placed on top of this unit? And if so, are there concerns about how much weight this would create? The stand, I believe, is for TVs up to 70", so I'm inclined to think that weight would be a non-issue (my TV is 50").

I really like the stand because it's only $110 and can house all of my components, but yes, I do have a couple concerns.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I like having my tv a bit higher. Part of that decision was because of the Wii. With so many of the games, you end up standing to play, and having the TV low wasn't ideal.

Just something else to consider.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm one of the loons that has their TV above the fireplace, but that does seem low to me.

But you should try it out with the Tv on a temporary stand at that height. And if you don't have the TV or stand yet, cut out a 50" piece of cardboard and mock it up. biggrin.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have this exact Besta TV console. There are holes in the bottom of the unit to screw in the various Besta leg accessories. I have the black console with these black legs (). The legs add an additional 4". You can get square or cylinder style legs in various colors.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-15-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Will your center speaker fit in one of the cubbies? Figure out the middle of the screen height horizontally with it's pedastel and add the height of the stand and if that's not close to eye height from where you're viewing (I'd guess more than a foot above or below and you'll be straining your neck up or down), then you'd want to reconsider or add something to raise it. Also Ikea isn't the cheapest furniture store, so I bet you can find lots of comparable stands for the same or less if you shop around. If you just want space for 6 components, there are lots of stands with 3 vertical shelves wide enough for 2 components side by side for a total of 6. I had to buy a stand for my enormous 34" CRT and I wanted plenty of space for my AV equipment, DVR cable box, BD player, HTPC, and network equipment and ended up buying a $300 O'bello metal and glass stand which I still use for my 65" S64.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-17-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just get a mount and put it up on the wall above the unit. It looks clean and you can easily get a mount for ~$20-25 at Monoprice that you can hang on. It gives you more surface area to put your accessories too.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page