Wall mount problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am moving into a new place that has a nice tv nook wired to an AV closet. The problem is my 55" Viera plasma is about 2" too wide for this nook! The previous owner had a small tv on a flush mount installed with (3) 3" lag bolts into studs and (4) drywall anchors (seen below). The 4th lag bolt (top left) cannot be installed because there is a piece metal behind the sheet rock in this area.

To solve the fit problem with my 55" plasma, I bought one of these

The full motion plate is smaller and I still have the problem with only being able to use 3 lag bolts.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I know the shear and pull out strength of the lag bolts it very high but not securing one corner makes me nervous?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Liked: 14
You should be fine with 3 lag bolts. It's not like the TV is going to fall off of the wall. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the metal plate possibly bending a small amount over time and causing the TV to not be level..
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
You could remove that white single gang outlet box (cut power, disconnect outlet, pry box away from stud with screwdriver, let fall inside wall), and maybe see why there is some metal there. Replace j-box with an old work box. You may be able to see if the mount can be positioned higher or lower, within the nook. Could be a nail plate, covering a small pipe, or something larger.

You could also cut a few more holes, to explore. Use single gang low-voltage rings and blank plates to fill the holes, nobody will see them.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Considering where the j-box is, there is likely a nail plate for an electrical cable where the screw won't go into the wall.

If it were me, I wouldn't like leaving one corner of the mount unsecured.

Simple solution is to attach the mount securely to a piece of plywood and then attach the plywood to the studs. Use a box extender for the electrical box. 1/2" baltic birch would do it. I would use 3/4" if using American plywood.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks all. I didn't like the thought of leaving 1 corner unscrewed and reusing the original 3 holes. So I decided to drill 4 new holes 1.5" above the original and now I have a properly secured mount!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page