Media Niche Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some advice on which way would be better to mount my flat screen inside my media niche. Niche is 5' wide, about 30" deep, built in cabinets and shelves at the top.

I have an articulating mount that wont extend far enough out from the back wall of the niche, so I am looking at putting in some soft of floating wall across the niche so I can attach the mount and then pull the TV forward to be flush with the opening, and also pull out further so I can get to the connections in the back of the TV and also get underneath for access to the back wall. There will also be a movable cabinet underneath the TV that I will move out when needed. I cant put the TV directly on the cabinet because it will sit too far back in the niche.

My main concern is that maybe the 2x10 in the 2nd option will flex or twist with a 5' span. TV weight is approx 60lb, mount is 32lbs.

Here are the 2 options that I think I have...

Option 1
Frame a small wall with 2x4's about 10-12" high attached to the studs on either side, with vertical studs in the middle to attach the mount using lag bolts.

Option 2.

Using 2x10 attached on either side, with a 2x10" spanning the width, attached to the sides with steel angles. Then bolts through the 2x10 to attach the mount.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I like the simplicity of the 2x10, but I think I would look at other mounts - like a swing-arm that you could directly mount to the side wall perhaps?
post #3 of 6 Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

The TV is 65", barely fits in the niche. I would need a mount that can extend over 30" to give me enough slack to get the TV centered. A quick search found the Sanus VMAA26 extends about 25" and they don't come cheap ! If I could find a mount that extends about 30" I would probably just put it on the back wall and just deal with getting to the back of the TV by moving the furniture underneath.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzz666 View Post

The TV is 65", barely fits in the niche. I would need a mount that can extend over 30" to give me enough slack to get the TV centered. A quick search found the Sanus VMAA26 extends about 25" and they don't come cheap ! If I could find a mount that extends about 30" I would probably just put it on the back wall and just deal with getting to the back of the TV by moving the furniture underneath.

I am using the A Chief mount with a 25" Extension http://www.chiefmfg.com/Series/MWH for a 46" display Pictures here Livingroom update with new Wall mount

They have a longer one at 37" but I expect it would be $400... just guessing as the one I have was $325
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Series/PDR
post #5 of 6 Old 09-16-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

So this is what I came up with if anyone is interested or has a similar problem. Ledgers on each side attached to studs, studs L/R weren't on the same plane so I couldn't use a single stud :-(

post #6 of 6 Old 09-16-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 363
The builders around me these days are filling the TV opening with a 1-1/4" plywood (veneer) "back" making the cabinet only a few inches deep, while the rest of the cabinetry remains the normal depth. They cut large access holes for cables above / below the center. This makes a ~3" deep niche which makes it simple to mount any normal wall mount of your choice. If for some reason you need to put something much deeper into that space, that piece can be removed - attached with cleats to the sides of the cabinet to minimize visible damage/repair.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page