Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Hey all,

I have two possible orientations for my room and am looking for some input on the best arrangement, particularly focused on SQ issues. All room openings have doors(one is a pocket door). The room is 13 X 28 feet.

The first is a width orientation that would allow me to place side surrounds with decent separation to the seating and wide speakers, but no rear speakers. Distance to MLP will be 9-10 feet, depending on how far I pull the seating off the back wall. This arrangement also allows for easier placement of additional furniture, such as media cabinets, etc.

The second orientation is length. This orientation will allow for rear speakers and a second row of seating, but wides are not really possible. The side surrounds are close to the end seats(really right over their heads) and it is more difficult to get around the furniture in this arrangement, but seems like the more typical arrangement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 225
It's not advisable to have a seating position up against a back wall (boomy bass), so the second arrangement would seem to be the better choice for that reason alone.

Being able to move the seating position in the second layout should make it easier to find a sweet spot too.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
Old 09-13-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Yes, I've been discussing this in another thread and I have also come to the conclusion that the 2nd orientation is best. I'm not sure about the boundary issues so I think it's best to avoid them. I have successfully calibrated systems with seating against a wall with very good results, but that is not to say they will all be like that. As well, as you noted - and most important to my decision - the ability to move my seating positions out of particularly difficult nulls is worth its weight in gold.

This is the layout I've settled on:

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Looks good. Glad to be of some help.

Best of luck.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT