New Cabinet Build - Need Ventilation Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'll also post a drawing of a new cabinet I'm having built soon. Everything is set but I'm not sure how much ventilation I need or the size and location of the openings.

Overall dimensions are 25" high x 85" long x 27" deep... solid oak... smoke glass on the front doors. The height was based on leaving just enough room between the cabinet and wall mounted display (Panasonic P60ST30). The opening of each compartment (there is an oak divider separating them) is 23" wide x 18-1/4" high with the actual area inside being 25" wide x 20-1/4" high.

Will transfer a CoolerGuys thermostatically controlled dual fan unit from the old cabinet to the new one. It will be centered on the back, near the top. There will be a framed rectangular cutout on the back of the cabinet to mount the fan unit so the rear panels behind each equipment compartment can be removed separately.

The receiver (Poineer SC-27) will go on the bottom of one compartment and the amplifier (Parasound 5250 v2) will go on the bottom of the other compartment. No game systems or computer systems inside. Other items will include a Blu-ray player, Velodyne SMS-1, Cable Box, Wireless Router, Lumagen Mini 3D, and Cable Modem.

Any shelves going above the receiver and amplifer will be made from 1/4" thick aluminum, completely open in the middle to minimize airflow restriction and adjustable fore/aft rails that can accept any width of a components feet, although I plan to stack a few items. wink.gif

With the dual fan centered, one fan would essentially vent the left compartment and the other fan, the right compartment. The fans are spaced far enough apart that the center divider won't block either one. I planned to put a couple smaller holes in the center divider but only to pass certain cables through and not for ventilation.

And this is where I stumble because I have no clue what to do.

I would assume I need some sort of opening for air intake but vent holes in the bottom of a cabinet seem to pull in a lot of dust so I'm trying to avoid that. The doors will have a thin space around them but not sure if that's enough, even though the receiver runs fairly cool.

I'm also not sure if I should have vents cut through the center panel and/or the rear panels (can it hinder the operation of the fans), how many, if the shape of a vent (i.e. round vs long and narrow) matters, etc.

Once I fugre this out then I can give the okay to start the build. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 177
The size of the intake openings just needs to be no smaller than the fans. It does not matter what shape they are. There are filters you can buy that are for pc's if you are really concerned about the dust. Just make sure that you get the air flow going completely across the area such as the fans on the back top area and the intake openings on the bottom front area.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #4 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

The size of the intake openings just needs to be no smaller than the fans. It does not matter what shape they are. There are filters you can buy that are for pc's if you are really concerned about the dust. Just make sure that you get the air flow going completely across the area such as the fans on the back top area and the intake openings on the bottom front area.

Thanks for the information. Then I shouldn't install air vents in the rear panels since they would cause the fans to pull air from the back panels instead of the front of the cabinet. But what about vents in the center panel that divides the two compartments. They shouldn't be necessary since each compartment will have it's own rear fan and bottom front intake openings. On the other hand vents in the center panel could create a crossflow... the question is if it will help or hinder the cooling process. Any thoughts?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Correct. The vents in the back are not ideal for good airflow throughout the cabinet. If each side has its own fan, the middle vent is also not necessary. It also might be worse because it could alter the airflow. If you go to middle atlantics website, they have a nice pdf. file that has a lot of great information on cooling.

Also the shelves that you are making have holes in the middle. That is perfect for airflow going through some of your components. Some components have vents on the bottom and the top so that heat passes through from natural convection. This is also why you will want to place your components that get the hottest on top.

- Leon Phelps
post #6 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds reasonable. Will get together with the builder and finalize the details. Thanks for the help... much appreciated. Can't wait to finish the room.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Post pics of everything when you are done. We love pics!

- Leon Phelps
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page