Home Theater w/ receiver (~$1200-1500) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys!

So I'm building a small home theater and I was wondering what the best 5.1 set up w/ receiver would be for my price range of roughly $1200-1500. I'm new to theater set ups, but I do love sound quality coming from an appreciation of headphones. I know this is a pretty tight budget, so I could really use some help!

The set up would be connected to an 80 inch TV, and the room itself measures roughly 20x15 ft. Also, the speakers may need to be installed in the walls due to cabling.

I'd really appreciate any advice I could get.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 365
There are good AV Receivers for $300-500 (Onkyo NR515 for example), I would stick to that range and use the $700-1200 on speakers, concentrating on a matched-brand set of L/C/R speakers, and relatively inexpensive surround in-walls (look at the Polk or the ultra-cheap Monoprice). A small subwoofer adds a lot to the movie experience, but could be added later as budget allows. Same is really true for the surrounds as well. Put your money into the LCRs as that will determine the audio quality of the system by orders of magnitude more than anything else in the system.

You'll get more opinions on speaker brands / models in the Speakers forum, but you should really listen to them before buying if at all possible. I'd suggest the MartinLogan Motion 4 L/R and Motion 8 as a good set to compare. There are lots of choices (and more opinions than that!).

Good luck!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 4 Old 09-15-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!
Adding up the costs of the receiver+L/R/C speakers per your recommendation would total around $1300. The MartinLogans look great and I'll definitely be giving them a listen at Bestbuy or any other retailer that offers them.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-15-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

I also came across the Infinity ps363 + Infinity pc351 combo. Anyone have experience with these and the MartinLogans set up?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page