Basement layout review for projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have my general room layout as pictured below. Excuse the drawing but I did it in excel, each block representing 1’. As you can see this is not a dedicated theater room and I’m trying to decide on a screen that is view-able with a decent amount of ambient light. There is one window near the bar but I’m more concerned about what the projector/screen will look like if a few lights are on when people are over. In addition the carpet/ceiling will be lighter colored, I can get away with the walls being darker.
I’m planning on a BenQW1070 and a electric 106” or possible 120” screen that will be lowered to use part time. The remainder of the time I will have a 60” flush mounted in/on the wall with built in bookcases on both sides and a build in ET center below. Do you folks think I would be better off with a grey screen for viewing in non-pitch black conditions?
Seating is another concern as my wife does not want theater seating. The back of the sofa will be about 13’ but I’m concerned how the picture will look for those sitting on the side section. Another problem is placement of rear speakers. I realize this entire setup is not “ideal” for a theater type experience but I’m trying to get the best of both worlds.
I took a few picture of the room so far the first picture was taken from A location on the diagram, second from B, third from C.
Any thoughts concerns etc?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Have you considered putting the screen on the 17' wall on the right and moving your sectional sofa out into the room and turned 90 degrees?

You could put left surround speaker near the post and the right surround has options on the wall or the HVAC soffit.

If done just right I think the people in the bar area might be able to see the screen as well... a bonus for sports/parties.

This would also allow you to maintain access to the storage area without having to deal with the reduced height door under the stairs thing you appear to have going now.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We did consider a few alternatives on how to lay out the furniture and where to place the TV(s) and liked the one above as it gives more of an "open" one large room feel to the basement and people at the bar could somewhat easily interact with people on the sofa. I"m not total against rearranging the room, that's just what we were thinking.

You are right about the door under the stairs, I'm goingto use a sliding barn style door so it appears to be a normal sized door when closed.