What component should I upgrade? $3500 to spend - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I have recently got the green light from my boss/wife to spend $3500 on upgrading my room or components. My choice!
I am not sure I really need to spend it, but I thought I would ask this group what you would recommend and why.

My list of components are below:
Dedicated theater room built in 2009 that is 18.5 x 13 W x 8 tall
7.1 Setup with one row of seating
Only Used for Movies, Cable and Gaming.
Soundproofed and treated with basics (i.e. double drywall, greenglue, acoustical panels, etc.)

Equipment:

Projector - Epson 7500ub with less than 700 hours and not 3D
Amp - Emotiva UPA - 7
PreAamp - Onkyo PR SC 886
Speakers (L,C,R, 4oms) - Emotivas ERM 6.3
Surrounds - Emotivas ERD-1
Subwoofer (x1) - Epik Dragon
Screen Carada h106P - 1:78 to 1. Room constraints can't go bigger.
Blue Ray /Gaming: PS3 about to be PS4
Comcast for cableCable

So, if you had this choice what would you upgrade or add to my existing situation. We have all been there, and need to strike while the iron is hot and prior to the washing machine breaking if you know what I mean.

Let me know your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I am confused! YOU don't know what you don't like and need to upgrade? Sorry if this is a silly idea but I thought you upgraded stuff when it no longer did the job it was purchased to do, or there is new stuff out that does something more, or will be better at some aspect. Typically you would know of the deficiency and want to upgrade.. i.e. Black level is lacking and bothers you when watching movies.. motion blur bothers you during sports.. input lag bothers you during gaming, mid and upper frequencies are harsh do to room acoustics, dead spot in bottom end due to room acoustics, lack of light on large screen due to dim lamp (under powered projector) etc. etc. etc..
Sounds to me like you are happy with the room and your equipment but from the number of hours on your lamp you don't use it enough.. spend the money to pay someone to do whatever it is your doing rather than enjoying your room!
post #3 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

I am confused! YOU don't know what you don't like and need to upgrade? Sorry if this is a silly idea but I thought you upgraded stuff when it no longer did the job it was purchased to do, or there is new stuff out that does something more, or will be better at some aspect. Typically you would know of the deficiency and want to upgrade.. i.e. Black level is lacking and bothers you when watching movies.. motion blur bothers you during sports.. input lag bothers you during gaming, mid and upper frequencies are harsh do to room acoustics, dead spot in bottom end due to room acoustics, lack of light on large screen due to dim lamp (under powered projector) etc. etc. etc..
Sounds to me like you are happy with the room and your equipment but from the number of hours on your lamp you don't use it enough.. spend the money to pay someone to do whatever it is your doing rather than enjoying your room!

You are correct about philosophy on an upgrade and that is truly where I am at. My setup sounds pretty good to me but thought I would use the forum for equipment ideas that could be improved because I have a few extra dollars in budget. It might improve something I didn't know I was missing vs solving a direct problem for today. Haven't you ever purchased something on want vs a need?

BTW - 2nd lamp, the first one was replaced right around 3000 hours since it was a bit dim for my liking.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Yes, and every time I have done that I end up sorry for one reason or another.. Then again my disposable income has gone down greatly and I am getting older so priorities have changed. There seems to be a lot of younger people willing to spend large amounts of money for the newest thing, even if that new thing is really only marginally better than the old thing. One of the reasons so many people are in financial trouble. Good luck with your expenditure, hopefully you will get a large amount of enjoyment from whatever you update.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Speakers and amps don't age poorly. PJs usually do. I think 4 1/2 years is plenty of time to wait to get a new PJ. Especially if you want 3D (which you should) its far better at home with a decent PJ than the theater. But that means you may need to change out your Onkyo 886, get glasses, etc. I don't know how the PS3 does playing 3D either, though I'm sure you can get an answer about that around here pretty easily.

That said, there is certainly value to what Air is saying. If you don't think you need it bank it until you do think you need it.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page