Need help with build in progress - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-19-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to what's out now because I havn't replaced any of my equipment in over 10 years. Here is what I have so far. Samsung 65 inch led tv with 4 HDMIs. Samsung blue ray player. Both new from Costco. So far both work fine. I have ATT Uverse. Right now my Uverse dvr and new blue ray player are connected to the tv with HDMI cables. Also there I have a Nintendo Wii connected to the composite a/v input on the tv. My stereo receiver is a 25 year old pioneer. Works great but it has all composite audio i/os. The tv has a single audio out terminal but I think it is for head phones. It also has a digital audio optical out terminal. Still can't use with the old receiver. Costco sells a Sony STR-DN1030 receiver for $400. Thinking of using an optical cable from the tv to the new stereo for good audio when I desire. Don't want to listen to the news through my stereo. The Sony has 5 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output but do I really need them? How good will the audio be with an optical cable between the tv and stereo?
Thanks
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It'll be fine. The optical cable will carry 5.1 sound with no prob lem. Used to be that you'd send video and audio over two separate cables. The optical (digital) was the best you could get. With HDMI,it's sort of like the optical cable has been rolled in with the video cable. Obviously the technology is different, but I don't think you'd notice a difference between optical and HDMI on a 5.1 system with the same equipment.

At my house we run the Wii through the TV and then the tv audio out over Fiber Optic to the receiver. Works just fine as most Wii games we play are PLII audio encoded.

I'm confused too.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page