HT & Portable Generator (Kuro, TiVo, Oppo, AVR & FIOS) question(s) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-20-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Premis:I have little or none knowledge in Electrical power and although I have been reading up on it I still can't come to a simple solution/answer.

I will be getting a 7kW to 8kW prtable generator and having a manual transfer switch installed in the next couple of weeks, max budget $2.500 all in (including installation fee). Obviously not in the cards: a whole house automatic generator, nor a top end Honda protable generator wth inverter technology

Amongst the various things like furnace, appliances and lights to juice up I'd like to be able to safely turn on the HT and the internet.

Is there a "poor man's" solution to stablizing/cleaning/conditioning (whatever the term) the power out of the generator >> transfer switch >> wall sockets > into > ?? >> to power surge protector >> to HT components?

What is the general experience with just plugging in the HT components without any type of buffer?

I sort of don't care about the Modem, Oppo, TiVo, kids Nintendo or the house cat. BUT whould be very upset to damage my precious D-Nice calibrated 500M.

Thoughts, suggestions? Thank you.

Gman

ps am thinking Generac XG8000E w/Reliance transfer switch btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Buy a couple of APC BACKUPS or like UPS for your equipment. This will keep your stuff running during short drop outs and fully filter and adjust line voltage when run on backup generator. You want any device used for internet such as cable modem, router ONT (Fios network interface) set top box, TV receiver etc. This may require 2 or 3 smaller UPSs depending on where things are located. I have one small older unit running the ONT in the basement as it only draws 12 watts and the Verizon supplied battery backup is only for phone not internet. A 1000 VA running my desktop Fios Router and monitor in my home office where I work , then another for the Receiver, set top box, hdmi switch and projector. It all depends on where things are located and how much power they draw. Normally 2 smaller units (1000VA) are less expensive than a single massive unit which typically can not be found at your local computer store.
I have a manually backup generator which is connected with custom snakes, no transfer switch. Had everything up and running as explained above with no issues. Fortunately I have more momentary drop outs (2-3 a year) than I do major outages (non since buying the gen set) so the UPSs are very helpful to prevent missing 2 minutes of True Blood as the set top box reboots..
post #3 of 3 Old 09-23-2013, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thank you for the advice!

I sort of don't care about the battery/back-up part, as long as the output is stable 120v I'll be happy.

Time to start doing some research on a back-up UPS that will fit my needs.

Gman
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page