Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-21-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Hello people!

I'm having a dilemma... I want to go on the height speakers route. In my receiver's advanced mcacc, the height speakers depicted looks like center channels... Even if I see theaters everywhere with bookshelves at that position. WHich one is right?!?

Right now there is a center channel model that I'd like for heights on sale... But I could also get energy mini-rcs bookshelves...

So.. Is having two small center speakers for center speaker a bad idea? Or should I pick bigger bookshelves ? Can't decide haha!

Thanks in advance!

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-22-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Sorry, my response probably isn't going to help much smile.gif

I'm not sure what distinction you're using between "center" and "bookshelf" speakers -- horizontal vs vertical speaker orientation, perhaps? At any rate, you just need good speakers which are compatible with your receiver, and which can be oriented so their tweeters point toward the primary listening position. Some speaker designs do have broader high frequency dispersion than others, so that seating positions and speaker orientations aren't quite so critical. Also, speakers with larger woofers tend to produce better sound than speakers with smaller woofers. Whether or not your mounting system can handle the weight of larger speakers is another consideration. In-ceiling speakers are another option.

Unfortunately, there is no one standard for how height speakers should be positioned or how the audio for them is generated. (Dolby has different recommendations than Audyssey, for example.) I know of only one movie which has had its audio intentionally mixed for use with home systems that include height speakers: The Expendables 2 was mixed for use with DTS Neo:X and 11.1 audio channels. See http://www.dts.com/corporate/press-releases/2012/11/the-expendables-2-first-blu-ray-to-feature-dts-neo-x.aspx
Aarghon likes this.

Selden
post #3 of 6 Old 09-22-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks for your answer!

Well I was wondering if a center channel or any lcr speaker would do a better job than a wall mounted bookshelf...

And I didn't mean an horizontally oriented bookshelf, rather speakers designed to be horizontal, like centers or lcr vs standard vertical bookshelf ! Thought centers and lcrs could have a wider dispersion.

Yes, it's a sad thing that specific height channel mixes aren't common, but I think it will catch up, home cinema enthusiasts are only waiting for these mixes to buy additional speakers, and the industry wants that haha!

Have a nice day!

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
post #4 of 6 Old 09-22-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Heights dont have to be anything special. Just get the best bookshelf speaker you can easily afford that is at least close to the same type as your front 3.
Aarghon likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #5 of 6 Old 09-22-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks bond! Well I could get a pair of energy rc minis for 100$, I think I'll go that way. So even if i'm not overly satisfied with dolby plIIz, it would have cost me only 100 bucks!

Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
post #6 of 6 Old 09-22-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post

Thanks bond! Well I could get a pair of energy rc minis for 100$, I think I'll go that way. So even if i'm not overly satisfied with dolby plIIz, it would have cost me only 100 bucks!
Sounds like a good plan. Those are pretty good speakers. If youre disappointed you can use them as back surrounds or in another room.
Aarghon likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page