APC H15 - Coax Questions - AVS Forum
General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms > APC H15 - Coax Questions
tangfj's Avatar tangfj 12:46 AM 09-24-2013
Hey guys, I think I had a recent power spike at my home during a storm and as a result a lot of my equipment got fried... as such, I went out to the store the other day and got an APC H15 in order to give me a better level of protection over the simple surge protector I had before.

I have everything plugged up now and so far the power side of it has been really a no brainer. Everything was nicely labeled as suggestions for where to plug in everything. It was a fairly easy setup as far as that goes.

Anyway, I went to plug up the coax cables and I tried plugging in my incoming coax to the CATV / Modem input as I needed output for both my tivo box as well as my cable modem. I plugged my tivo and cable modem in to the output from the H15 and thought I'd be set to go. When I checked the tivo box, though, upon changing channels I noticed that the signal was very pixelated and the signal was so poor that it just froze. I could still hear audio but the picture was just really bad and unwatchable. The cable modem also had a few problems and I could not connect to the internet.

After this happened, I decided to take the coax out and just plug directly in to my tivo and cable modem for the time being and see if I could get some help on this. Is this an issue with the APC H15 or should I have used the SAT / Antenna for the tivo and the CATV / Modem for the cable modem or vice versa? I wanted to avoid having two coax lines coming in to the H15 if possible but if that'll make it work then I'm all for it. Anyway, I know I could just try it and see if it works but I really wanted to reach out to you guys to see if there are other owners out there that have experienced the same issues and how they got around it.

Thanks!

tangfj's Avatar tangfj 04:33 PM 09-24-2013
Well in case it helps anyone else, I connected my tivo to the SAT / Antenna input/output and the tivo is now working with no problems. I connected my cable modem to the CATV / Modem input/output and saw some signal loss but not significant enough to make a difference. Average power level on my modem went from -4 to -5 db to -8 to -9 db, all of which I hear are within acceptable levels for Comcast in my area. The only major difference I can see on the admin page on my cable modem is that instead of showing all 8 channels in the downstream bonding channel value section I'm only seeing channels 2, 3, 6, 7, and 8. Upstream remained the same with only 4, 5, and 6 showing up as channels.

Either way, I did speed tests and got the same speeds whether I was directly attached or passing through the H15. If anyone knows if not showing all 8 channels is an issue, let me know. Otherwise, I suggest that any of you that have this issue to try out connecting your cable tv box through the SAT connection and your cable box through the CATV connection.

UPDATE: I had the cable modem connected to the CATV/Modem connection on the H15 and it worked ok but I found that I was dropping connection every few hours, which was unacceptable for me. I have since connected my cable modem to pass-through a smaller unit panamax M8-AV-PRO and have since had zero issues. I'm getting full signal strength as I did before. My advice, do not connect your cable modem to the H15's CATV / Modem coax connection... it has a splitter built in and you just lose too much signal strength when connected. I've considered getting a larger panamax instead but the only one I would even be able to think about is the m5300, which doesn't have voltage regulation like the H15. I'll likely keep the H15 and use something else for coax protection.
mbroadus's Avatar mbroadus 07:07 AM 02-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangfj View Post

Well in case it helps anyone else, I connected my tivo to the SAT / Antenna input/output and the tivo is now working with no problems. I connected my cable modem to the CATV / Modem input/output and saw some signal loss but not significant enough to make a difference. Average power level on my modem went from -4 to -5 db to -8 to -9 db, all of which I hear are within acceptable levels for Comcast in my area. The only major difference I can see on the admin page on my cable modem is that instead of showing all 8 channels in the downstream bonding channel value section I'm only seeing channels 2, 3, 6, 7, and 8. Upstream remained the same with only 4, 5, and 6 showing up as channels.

Either way, I did speed tests and got the same speeds whether I was directly attached or passing through the H15. If anyone knows if not showing all 8 channels is an issue, let me know. Otherwise, I suggest that any of you that have this issue to try out connecting your cable tv box through the SAT connection and your cable box through the CATV connection.

UPDATE: I had the cable modem connected to the CATV/Modem connection on the H15 and it worked ok but I found that I was dropping connection every few hours, which was unacceptable for me. I have since connected my cable modem to pass-through a smaller unit panamax M8-AV-PRO and have since had zero issues. I'm getting full signal strength as I did before. My advice, do not connect your cable modem to the H15's CATV / Modem coax connection... it has a splitter built in and you just lose too much signal strength when connected. I've considered getting a larger panamax instead but the only one I would even be able to think about is the m5300, which doesn't have voltage regulation like the H15. I'll likely keep the H15 and use something else for coax protection.

I just bought the H15 and I'm concerned about signal loss when running the coax from the wall to the H15 to the Comcast SA 8300HD cable box and cable modem. The cable coax from the wall has a splitter so I'm thinking about connecting the cable box to the SAT/Antenna input/output as you did but not running the modem coax to the H15 but connecting it through the APC SurgeArrest cable pass through. My other small electronic devices (router, Logitech remote charger) are connected to the SurgeArrest as well. Suggestions?

APC SurgeArrest

Up
Mobile  Desktop