Mitigating sound from mechanical room for basement TV room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got my TV set up in the semi-finished basement of my new house but unfortunately it is right next to the mechanical room with furnace/air handler and hot water heater. I get sound from the main duct that runs most of the length of the house, including the TV room, but the bigger problem is the sound from the HVAC equipment in the front mechanical room. As you can see, there is a wall separating the two rooms but there are plenty of gaps around the ductwork. I'm not looking for perfection, but a significant reduction in sound would be great. I'm open to adding more drywall to the wall, filling the gaps somehow (although that may be difficult), or even drywalling a new ceiling directly to the joists (and creating soffits for the ductwork which could solve the problem of those gaps entirely). What do you guys think?

The main room

Lots of gaps around/between the ductwork and wall/ceiling

More of the gaps

View from inside the mechanical room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 466
FWIW, in one of the home renovation shows on HGTV they used "rock wool" as insulation in the ceiling of a basement apartment and managed to get a substantial reduction of sound transmission -- at least 50dB. (A 90dBA sound source on the main floor above was reduced to normal normal background levels -- about 40dBA as I recall.) There also used some kind of dense paint-on coating for the HVAC ductwork to drastically reduce its vibrational noises. Sorry, I don't recall what they called that.

Hopefully someone here can provide personal experiences with these types of products!

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'll look into the rock wool. I would happily lose 6-10" of space to better insulate the wall between the mechanical room and the main room. It's the gaps around the ducts that seem the trickiest problem to deal with though, and apart from putting up a ceiling and framing a soffit around the ducts secured tightly to the exterior wall, not sure what else I could do to keep sound from leaking through.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-27-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
good old fiberglass insulation will do wonders. insulate and drywall the back side of the wall to the mechanical room. Seal all openings - spray foam. If you want to really do it well, stagger the studs so that they don't touch the opposite drywall and run insulation between - usually done with 2x6 sill plate and 2x4 studs. A number of folks have dealt with this. Also, insulate around your ducts. Rigid fiberglass if you don't want to build a chase to fully enclose them. A chase stuffed with fiberglass insulation would be best.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. For the relatively small amount of wall I have to deal with, I may even go with rockwool for the insulation instead of fiberglass.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page