I’ve had a 140” painted wall for the past 8 years and have been happy. With my recent purchase of the JVC RS45, I decided to invest in a screen. I almost pulled the trigger on a screen innovations fixed frame but after looking at my layout, I didn’t like how the seating cut the room in half. This room will also be a play area for the kids so my goal is to maximize the open space.
Some general info:
- Movies are watched at night - so ambient light is not an issue
- I bought some black velvet and plan to cover the area above the screen
- Equipment is currently on a rack inside the fireplace. I had a wood stove that was removed. Planning on refinishing the fireplace to become an integrated equipment rack.
- Receiver: Denon 2310ci
- Front: Klipsch RF-82
- Center: Klipsch RC-62
- Rear: Klipsch RS-62
- Subwoofer: Broken (looking for something)
- Bluray: Oppo 103
- Projector: JVC RS45
- Screen: TBD (either a VAPEX or EluneVision tab-tensioned screen in 106-120” CineWhite material.
Photo shows CURRENT Layout.
I played around with some different arrangement and came up with the following. See diagram below.
NOTE the layout has been rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise.Before I spend money on a screen, I’ve got some questions:
1. Are the any issues with this arrangement? Is it ok that the speakers are so far to the sides?
2. I’m having a tough time deciding between 106”, 112”, or 120”. Any thoughts on that?
3. I'd like to consider in-wall or wall mountable speakers, are there speakers out there that will are under $1000 that would be good for HT use? I don't listen to music at home. I'm probably going to get the Martin Logan Motion 4 and 8.
4. I would like to have a curtain that covers the entire wall behind the screen. Is that overkill? That wall is 24' wide.
5. Does it matter if the center channel sits on the floor? Or if I mount it above the screen? Which is better? After talking with someone, sounds like higher is better than lower.
I'm looking for any general advice or "red flags" before I move forward with buying the screen and moving stuff around.
UPDATE: added my own answers in blue