My Home Theater Remake (lots of questions and advice needed) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’ve had a 140” painted wall for the past 8 years and have been happy. With my recent purchase of the JVC RS45, I decided to invest in a screen. I almost pulled the trigger on a screen innovations fixed frame but after looking at my layout, I didn’t like how the seating cut the room in half. This room will also be a play area for the kids so my goal is to maximize the open space.

Some general info:
  • Movies are watched at night - so ambient light is not an issue
  • I bought some black velvet and plan to cover the area above the screen
  • Equipment is currently on a rack inside the fireplace. I had a wood stove that was removed. Planning on refinishing the fireplace to become an integrated equipment rack.

Current Equipment:
  • Receiver: Denon 2310ci
  • Front: Klipsch RF-82
  • Center: Klipsch RC-62
  • Rear: Klipsch RS-62
  • Subwoofer: Broken (looking for something)
  • Bluray: Oppo 103
  • Projector: JVC RS45
  • Screen: TBD (either a VAPEX or EluneVision tab-tensioned screen in 106-120” CineWhite material.

Photo shows CURRENT Layout.

I played around with some different arrangement and came up with the following. See diagram below.

NOTE the layout has been rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise.

Before I spend money on a screen, I’ve got some questions:
1. Are the any issues with this arrangement? Is it ok that the speakers are so far to the sides?
2. I’m having a tough time deciding between 106”, 112”, or 120”. Any thoughts on that?
3. I'd like to consider in-wall or wall mountable speakers, are there speakers out there that will are under $1000 that would be good for HT use? I don't listen to music at home. I'm probably going to get the Martin Logan Motion 4 and 8.
4. I would like to have a curtain that covers the entire wall behind the screen. Is that overkill? That wall is 24' wide.
5. Does it matter if the center channel sits on the floor? Or if I mount it above the screen? Which is better? After talking with someone, sounds like higher is better than lower.

I'm looking for any general advice or "red flags" before I move forward with buying the screen and moving stuff around.

UPDATE: added my own answers in blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
You will want your speakers symmetrical - same distance either side of screen. Looks like an exterior wall - I would not put in-walls in that - but on-wall would be fine. I had a somewhat similar setup in a prior house and had a center on a speaker stand right at the bottom of the screen when it was pulled down (I did a ceiling mount). If you are taking out the fireplace, you could flip the entire room and put a fixed screen over the fireplace area. Could go perf screen and the center behind it in the old fireplace.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

You will want your speakers symmetrical - same distance either side of screen. Looks like an exterior wall - I would not put in-walls in that - but on-wall would be fine. I had a somewhat similar setup in a prior house and had a center on a speaker stand right at the bottom of the screen when it was pulled down (I did a ceiling mount). If you are taking out the fireplace, you could flip the entire room and put a fixed screen over the fireplace area. Could go perf screen and the center behind it in the old fireplace.

Thanks. I decided against inwalls for other reasons but good to know. I considered putting the screen over the fireplace but that would still cut off the room in half.

I've had the room changed for a few days now and I'm going to stick with it - the room feels much larger and open. Now I just need to figure out how to optimize the HT.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Center on a stand directly below the center of screen. L & R on stands equal distance from sides of screen, as close to screen as your doors/windows will allow would be what I tried first.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

I'm out of town now, but my SVS PB-1000 sub arrived. Can't wait to hear it with my new speakers. Martin Logan Motion 4s for L/R and Motion 8 for Center. I'm still using my Klipsch RS-42 for surrounds until I sell my Klipsch set.

As for the screen wall, I'm thinking about doing curtains the entire wall. Is that the best look?

Also, how high would you go with the curtains? to the ceiling or where they are now? If I go all the way up, I'd cut a hole for the speaker mount.

SCREEN and CENTER:

I'm probably going with an Elunevision tab-tensioned screen and will need to ceiling mount since it needs to be in front of the curtains. Since there are windows behind the screen, the curtains will stay closed anytime the screen is down.

How would you mount the center? It can't be below the top of the screen or it'll be covered, but if it's above the screen, it'll have to be at the very top - which might not be ideal for sound. The other option is to mount it in front of the screen and have it sit a few inches below the ceiling. Hmmmm...not really sure what's best here.

Other Plans for Room:
  • Stone veneer fireplace - either install gas fireplace or convert to built-in equipment rack
  • Paint old screen wall back to matching dark blue
  • Black velvet area (10x4) directly in front of screen
  • Remove ceiling fan
  • Install new LED lights
  • Black rug in front of screen
  • LCD TV behind screen - for daytime use