Can the front speakers and subwoofers be in cabinets with the sides and back fully open? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The space behind my screen is unfinished basement area. So, I am recessing the front, center speakers and the subwoofers into that area.

The front panel will be aesthetically pleasing as that's the only part visible in the media room. The sides and the back will be inside the unfinished area. My question is, do I have to close the sides and the back of the enclosure?

My subwoofer is front firing.

I am pretty sure the front speakers be fine with the enclosure being open on the sides and back. But, will I be losing bass from the subwoofer if I leave the sides and back open. The storage room is pretty large, and I am concerned I'll be losing Bass into that area if left open?

The picture below is a rough rendition of what I am hoping to do. The lower end panels will hide the speakers behind it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
How is that space enclosed/treated? I think you will loose a lot of sub power into that space, but it may be ok. How big is it?
post #3 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Most of the outside walls are foundation concrete. But, being a walk out basement, towards the right its mostly drywall on the top. The inside walls are drywall.

I've attached an image to show the layout. Red is unfinished area where the speakers and the subwoofer will be placed. Black is the media room. It's got a full wall in the front and left side, mostly open on the right and behind.

My question probably should be, will a front firing subwoofer lose bass through the sides or is it mostly fired from the front. I am thinking it would be mostly from the front and I should be ok leaving the sub in the adjacent room

post #4 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

if you use a ported sub, that is going to be lost. A sealed one will do somewhat better, but in any case, the sub will "see" the opening. You will loose a lot of energy if the space behind the TV is not sealed off.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

if you use a ported sub, that is going to be lost. A sealed one will do somewhat better, but in any case, the sub will "see" the opening. You will loose a lot of energy if the space behind the TV is not sealed off.

Thanks!

It is not ported.

If I seal it, I am worried whether it will sound boomy also? But as the enclosure will be twice as wide and twice as tall as the subwoofer it might not be a problem.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

That kind of space, I would be thinking rear projection.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

I agree.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Ever consider dismantling the existing front wall and rebuild it three feet back, then do an acoustically transparent screen and front wall where the existing wall is?

Recessing the front three channels into the existing wall will destroy imaging unless your speakers are designed for this sort of placement. You could also
bring your LR mains off the side walls, for improved speaker layout since you have the width.

That's a large volume for a single subwoofer. Walling off the storage area will also ensure nothing in storage is going to rattle, vibrate, or be an issue.

pcarfan.jpg 363k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcarfan.jpg (363.4 KB, 6 views)
post #9 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Ever consider dismantling the existing front wall and rebuild it three feet back, then do an acoustically transparent screen and front wall where the existing wall is?

Recessing the front three channels into the existing wall will destroy imaging unless your speakers are designed for this sort of placement. You could also
bring your LR mains off the side walls, for improved speaker layout since you have the width.

That's a large volume for a single subwoofer. Walling off the storage area will also ensure nothing in storage is going to rattle, vibrate, or be an issue.

pcarfan.jpg 363k .jpg file

The screen wall is a structural wall and cannot be moved. There is in fact a structural beam almost right in the middle, and if I were to inset the speakers the center speaker will be some what off centered to negotiate the beam. So, I really cannot do a rear projection.

I am not doing perforated screen to reduce cost and need for high gain screen.

I am doing a 148" cinemascope screen. So that along with the flanking columns will take up significant space, leaving me with 36" on either end. I will be placing both the front R and L on the floor next to the sub, inside the cavity. So, If I move the front R and L in, then the sub will be on the outside. I thoughts it's better to put the sub towards the middle and the front R and L to the outside. Which is better?

Walling off the storage area is a neat idea, however all my CAT6 and wires are between the center speaker and the Right front speaker and my AV equipment rack will be there. Therefore, I don't want to close that whole section. So, instead of closing the whole area, why not have 3 separate enclosures for each speaker?

I have Paradigm reference 60's V2 and corresponding center and sub. Will these work enclosed?

P.S: When I say recessed into the wall, it's not like in walls. Where ever the speakers will be, the studs and drywall will be removed and a cabinet made. The front of the cabinet will be flush with the screen wall, and thus me saying it's recessed. So, I really don't see a difference between adding an extra wall vs my plan.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Make sure the L and R speakers don't end up three and a half feet off the side wall if you are running an 80 Hz crossover, or you'll never pull
off a seamless blending of the subwoofer. An 80 Hz wave is 14' long and 3.5' is 1/4 of 14' and you will have quarter wavelength cancelation
right where the crossover point is.

You don't want anything between the Paradigms (like boxes) or you won't have a seamless front stage, due to imaging issues created by barriers
between the speakers. Say goodbye to seamless sound pans across the front three speakers.

Is your av rack will be on the front wall or in behind and out of sight?
post #11 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Make sure the L and R speakers don't end up three and a half feet off the side wall if you are running an 80 Hz crossover, or you'll never pull
off a seamless blending of the subwoofer. An 80 Hz wave is 14' long and 3.5' is 1/4 of 14' and you will have quarter wavelength cancelation
right where the crossover point is.

You don't want anything between the Paradigms (like boxes) or you won't have a seamless front stage, due to imaging issues created by barriers
between the speakers. Say goodbye to seamless sound pans across the front three speakers.

Is your av rack will be on the front wall or in behind and out of sight?

The AV rack will be in the unfinished area, behind the wall, out of sight. I have all my CAT 6 cables to the entire house terminating there too.

I definitely want a seamless front stage. But I am struggling to understand why I will lose it with my setup?

With the front R and L and the center speaker, doesn't sound pretty much shoots out from the front only and not via the sides or the back? So, if those three speakers are enclosed on the sides and the back, and still open to the front (will be hiding behind speaker cloth), why would I lose a seamless front stage? Wouldn't the speakers function exactly the same way behind speaker cloth as opposed to being in front, irrelevant of whats around it? I was more worried about the subwoofer? which I don't know whether it fires from the sides and the back too?

PS: ok now I'm convinced I cannot put the speakers inside a cabinet..... Back to the drawing board then. Thanks for all of your help. I am so glad I asked.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page