Front speaker placement dilemna - Narrow soundstage or tall soundstage? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to setup a 5.1 setup in my living room but with the placement of the windows/fireplace, I'm having trouble figuring out where to place the front stage.

I am going to do in-wall speakers so that really limits the amount of real estate. As you can see from the picture below, there are windows adjacent to the fireplace where the speakers should go.

The TV will go above the fireplace with the center channel either above or below. Would you put the LR speakers just to the inside of the windows or do you think putting them above the windows would be better?

I'd think putting them between the windows would give possibly too narrow of a soundstage but putting them above the windows would put the sound up from high. It is possible to get some in-walls now a days that are pointable so if I did mount them up high, I could point them down toward the listening position.

Thoughts? I know it really is a terrible setup for both TV viewing and for audio but it's what I'm stuck with for now so trying to figure out the best plan of action. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Outside of windows. We really need to design a wall mount for above fireplaces where the TV comes out and down 2 or 3 feet - the screens are always too high up there. I'd try and put the center below the TV, except that the TV is already going to be too high.

I'm not a fan of in-wall on external walls. I would consider small on-wall speakers.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
You can't use ANY other wall in that room?

Sanjay
Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

You can't use ANY other wall in that room?

With the layout of the room it wouldn't work to put the TV on the adjacent wall. It is an open space shared with the breakfast nook and kitchen.

The next house we build will have a dedicated theater room but for the next 5 years I'm stuck with this space so trying to make the best of it.