help with screen wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All
need help with deciding which wall to place the screen on.
Getting ready to build a new home theater in the basement. Room size is 13'6'' x 20'9''. There is a beam in the room as shown. Clearance under the beam finished is 7'7''. The ceiling heights vary on either side of the beam as shown.
Plan is to have 2 row of seats with a 10 inch riser for the 2nd row and preferably a 120 inch 16:9 screen.
I need input as to which wall to place the screen on. I am concerned about the ceiling mounted projector as it has to be below 7'7'' to clear the beam. Please the illustration. Any other suggestions is welcome.
Thanks

Theate build 2.jpg 119k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Theate build 2.jpg (118.6 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by san16 View Post

Hi All
need help with deciding which wall to place the screen on.
Getting ready to build a new home theater in the basement. Room size is 13'6'' x 20'9''. There is a beam in the room as shown. Clearance under the beam finished is 7'7''. The ceiling heights vary on either side of the beam as shown.
Plan is to have 2 row of seats with a 10 inch riser for the 2nd row and preferably a 120 inch 16:9 screen.
I need input as to which wall to place the screen on. I am concerned about the ceiling mounted projector as it has to be below 7'7'' to clear the beam. Please the illustration. Any other suggestions is welcome.
Thanks

Old 10-03-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
You will need to choose a projector with sufficient lens shift and no offset so it can be lower than the beam and still fill the screen properly. Be careful some of the lower cost projectors do not have a full screen of lens shift or have an offset built in which will be a problem
With a projector designed for center screen placement and lens shift you could mount it behind your seating projecting over your heads or between seats.
Behind the seats is the preferred placement for the Dalite HP screen but would work with any screen. Only cons are you can not game standing and you get blinded when moving around during projection.. If you have room for an equipment closet behind the seats with the projector behind the wall that would be a very clean install. Probably not possible with 2 rows..

Not a dedicated room but works great with an HP screen in the livingroom
IMG_0560.JPG
Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

thanks
any suggestions on the projector
Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Your budget along with the light requirements of a 120" AT screen will effect your choices. in the > $3000 projector forum, most projectors have the needed lens shift. In the budget <$3000 you have less to choose from. I am using a used Planar 8150 that only puts out 1000 lumen on high but I have a 2.8 Gain screen and use eco. I could not really afford to buy a $5000 projector so I went with a older used high end unit that has great color, high quality lens, shift and a 1" DMD ( I am a dlp fan) If I was to buy new I would probably look Runco, Sony or JVC, but like cars they loose value very fast when used a year or so but still perform very good.. Good luck!