Reinforcing Wall - How Large an Area and Handling Vapor Barrier - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-04-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm in the process of getting new furniture and want to wall mount my 60" Panasonic Plasma above an audio cabinet. Two reasons for this... for aesthetics since I'm using wall mounted speakers, and to have enough room under the display for the horizontal center speaker.

The wall studs are 24" on center so I plan to reinforce the area by cutting away the wallboard and inserting sections of 2x12's between the studs. This way I can replace the wallboard and finish the wall to look the way it does now.

There are two issues I'm not sure how to handle...

(1) The wall is an exterior wall... there is fiberglass insulation between the studs and a heavy plastic vapor barrier. Obviously I'm going to have to cut away the vapor barrior and remove or compress the insulation where the 2x12's will be installed. What would be the best method to replace the vapor barrier? Was thinking of installing new plastic and have it overlap where I cut the original vapor barrier? Could I use a tape or adhesive to reseal the overlapped areas?

(2) Ideally I want the bottom edge of the display to be 35" from the floor. I want to reinforce enough wall area to use any wall mount I want, as well as cover myself when I upgrade to a larger 70" or 80" display. If I end up with an 80" display and a new wall mount I want to know those 2x12's will still have me covered. Do I need to install two rows of 2x12's just to make sure? And whether I install one or two rows, at what height should I install them?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Personally, I'd buy one of these and be done with it:

TV mounts for 24 inch studs

I think what you're planning on doing is admirable, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Wood is much stronger than most people assume, and should be able to easily hold the weight of a modern TV.

Bob
post #3 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Appreciate the reply. Unfortunately the location I want to mount the display puts a stud directly benind the center. That means I need a wall mount which can span across three studs...meaning it requires a wall bracket 49-1/2 inches wide minimum. It seemed like I wasn't going to get any replies so I decided to bite the bullet. I already cut away the wallboard and I'm in the process of installing two rows of 2x12's to make sure I have enough wood to cover any possible situration.

Actually it's going better than I expected, and the wallboard should be back on and plastered in the next couple days. And the work didn't cause any other issues because I was in the process of prepping the upstairs to be repainted anyway.

Thanks again for the reply.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 79
Vapor barrier is taped with Tuck Tape, or sheathing tape.

The vapor barrier is available at HD/Lowes, but not the Tuck Tape.

Bring a piece of the old vapor barrier with you, to match the thickness.

Don't use Gorilla tape or duct tape. It will not survive.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 79
I looked for sheathing tape at HD and Lowes 2 weeks ago, here in the US Midwest, and they did not have it. Tuck Tape is a Canadian brand of sheathing tape.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 7 Old 10-07-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

Purchased 6 mil plastic at Home Depot which is at least as thick as what's behind the wallboard now and it was the only product that specifically said it was for vapor barriers, moisture barriers, etc. so I should be good there.

I know exactly what you mean about duct tape based on past experience over the years. I recently installed new 6" ductwork in the attic for two bath fans and knew to stay away from duct tape, so I used foil tape instead. From what I can tell, foil tape has the same qualities of sheathing tape except for the 1.44 mil aluminum foil backing. But it's extremely durable and says it's perfect to use as a moisture barrier. Not sure what you think of this but I was considering using the left over foil tape to seal the vapor barrier behind the walls since the areas which need taped are flat. Otherwise I'll check a few more local places today. I could order it online but don't want the delay unless you (or someone else) thinks the foil tape is a bad idea.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-07-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Update... accidentally ran into this when I tried another search online. Typed "sheathing tape" and one of the suggestions was "sheathing tape lowes" so I tried it. It turns out Lowes does have sheathing tape. They just don't call it sheathing tape... it's "DuPont Tyvek 2-in x 164-ft HomeWrap Installation Tape" and it's in stock so I'll pick up a roll today.

BTW, Home Depot has it as well.

Thanks again.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page