AVS Forum banner

Speaker placement in basement home theater/media room

934 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  4DHD 
#1 ·
So we just moved into out new house and I am in the process of converting the finished basement living area into a home theater and video game room. The space isn't idea, but given the amount of HVAC and beams the previous owners had to deal with, they did a reasonable job of maximizing the space. The ceilings in the room are low (84") and the ceiling height above the main projector screen is even lower (74").

I've pretty much decided on how to allocate the space between the two projector setups. However, I am somewhat unclear on where to put the speakers for the main projector (the ones with 4 seats in the pictures below). As you can see in the floor plan and mock-ups below, the shape of the room leaves a lot to be desired in terms of speaker placement. I will likely go with an AT screen due to the lack of ceiling height and put the center channel behind the screen. However, I wasn't sure where the best place to put the main speakers in front.

Is it an issue if I use tower and they are 12-18" forward of the center channel?

Is the wall next to where the main left speaker would be going to create a major issue and/or dictate how close to the screen I should place the mains?

Also, in terms of the surrounds, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I haven't bought the speakers yet, so I am fairly flexible on the types (tower, in-wall, on-wall, etc).

See less See more
#2 ·
Place the towers right at the sides of the screen, and forward. If the left speaker is too close to the side wall, then toe-in the speakers to cut down on first early reflections.

The AVR's speaker setup menu is where you input the distances from the center seat to the speakers. So the AVR will adjust any signal delay to compensate for the center being farther away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.