Brand new to the world of projectors and cannot decide on what screen to buy, help please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

First off, thank you to the mods and managers of this site, such a wealth of valuable information that I've learned a lot from in the last few days.

My main question is, What type of screen should I buy?

I just recently received a brand new, JVC DLA-X55R projector.  From the reviews I've read, this thing is a monster!  I don't want to ruin this opportunity by going cheap on a screen, so my local home theater professional has recommended a SI Black Diamond screen.

Here is what I want to accomplish, I want to have a great picture, 100" 16;9.  But I don't want to have to turn my lights off every time I use it.   I've been told the Black Diamond reduces ambient light and I will receive a bright fantastic image if I go this route.

I've had a heck of a time trying to find a second opinion in the city I live in, went to 3 different A\V stores today and not one of them have heard of Black Diamond screens.

The unit will be used in the basement, there are two windows, both covered with blinds.   All the walls are white, including the ceiling.   The height of the ceiling where I'm mounting the projector and wanting to put the screen is only 6'6", so it's somewhat low. 

I'm hoping I can get some more experienced opinions and help, thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully provide me some insight.

Craig

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 10:16 AM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
While you stand a good chance of getting some learned opinions in this section, there is a dedicated "Screens" forum on AVS too - maybe posting there will yield a more diverse set of responses. I'm surprised that none of the dealers you approached had heard of Black Diamond - I guarantee that at least one person in the dedicated screens forum will have heard of the range.... smile.gif
post #3 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

post #4 of 10 Old 10-09-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Yeah, go get advice in the screens forum, but what about some darker paint?
post #5 of 10 Old 10-10-2013, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yes the screen forum is a great place! But I'll try and help you as much as I can. Although I'm in the same place you are. Trying to figure out the screen to use. However I have a bit more time as I am still in the construction phase of my room. But the research I have done on the SI BD screens I can say that from what I've read they are the best for a room that has ambient light. There is another one Thunderhawk something or other that is suppose to be good too. There are different BD screens however. The one I would go for if I had the budget but I'm not sure I'd even get it down my basement stairs due to a 90 degree turn is the Zero Edge BD. You can get them with LED Backlight kits even. They look really nice but they are one continous piece so again making turns on stiarway's may be tough. There are also silver, and grey screens that may do better with light. I'm still learning as well. SI make some nice screens and if money is no object then that would probably be the way to go. But there not cheap.

Also if it's possible you may want to paint the walls and ceiling a darker color. That will help with keeping light from reflecting back to the screen.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-12-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful advice.  I also posted in the screen forum but I've received more responses here! :p

I went with the Black Diamond 1.4 gain 100" screen.  Had a technician come by to analyze what I want to accomplish, it was well worth the 1 hour of labor it cost me.

Next decision now is the 40' HMDI cable I need, lol.    I've been told UltraLink is the way to go, but wow, $200 bucks!   That wasn't in much budget.   

Do I really need to spend that much or can I go with a regular HDMI for $80.

post #7 of 10 Old 10-13-2013, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have had zero problems with my monoprice red mere cable that is 50'. I think it cost me $60 last year, maybe $70.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
No chance an HDMI cable should cost you that much.

Redmere as mentioned above for $50:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9431&seq=1&format=2

If you let your installer make the recs you will almost certainly be bankrupt by the time they are done with you.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
There is another one Thunderhawk something or other that is suppose to be good too.

Most likely you are referring to the Stewart Firehawk screen !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #10 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I've had great luck with the BlueRigger HDMI cables...I've got a 35 footer running to my projector and all 3 footers running behind my rack.

Here's a 50-footer:

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable/dp/B004GW25WY/ref=pd_sim_e_11

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Jvc Dlax55rbu 3d Full Hd Front Projector , Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page