Basement Finish w/Media Room Open Concept - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I decided to finish my basement and started back in May. We built the house in 2009 and had 1100 sq ft unfinished basement with Full bath rough in added.

I went back and forth initially as to whether I should enclose the Media room and make it an official "Home Theater" Dedicated room or not. Finally I decided that I wanted an open concept to the basement with an Area built and dedicated as the TV / Movie Viewing area. I also took about 150 Sq Ft and closed it off to add a storage area.

I am fully framed and Wired and starting drywall. FIgured I would post my Journey here and get some input as I enter the last half of my build.

Images Of initial Framing.

• First Image is Screen and TV Wall
  • 2nd and 3rd Images are side wall in TV / Movie Viewing Area
  • 4th Image is back wall with Half wall up which will be capped with a top for sitting drinks on and bar stools (similar to pool table are in bar)
  • 5th Image is wall where Cabinets and Counter top will go along with half Fridge and another Small TV for viewing TV / Sports for parties. End of wall will be inset for another counter top which will have 3 PC / Laptops for kids to have mini lan parties (and for me as well since I am just a big kid smile.gif )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Sounds like a fun and exciting project. You went through the exact same decision I did last fall and like you, I decided to pursue an open concept versus a dedicated room. Good luck.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Might as well post a few more pics updating progress, since first post was the initial framing back in May.

• 1st Image - I added a sheet of 1/2 inch OSB to attach 100" Screen too. This way I didnt have to play games mounting the screen and creating cross bars etc.. to mount to. This will be enclosed in a bulk head to hide away the screen. Screen placement will move forward so a TV can be mounted on the wall behind it for everyday TV watching.
  • 2nd Image is at landing of Stairs you can see area for Movie posters and just across from that is where the bathroom will be.
  • 3rd Image is shot of mounted Screen for testing
  • 4th Image is computer area for myself and the kids, with the storage area visible behind the wall.
  • 5th & 6th Images are Under stairs original shot of framing. I then cut opening for AV in wall shelves I will build. I have mounted Strips and shelf brackets which I will post pics of later.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-09-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

quick update I started insulation and some drywall in what will be the media area. The Plan is for a BulkHead which will cover the Projector Screen and the motoroized Elite 100H will drop from slit in drywall on bottom of bulkhead.

QUESTION: I would like to have the bottom piece accessible in the event that I have a problem with the Screen and need to get into the bulkhead. I have been considering some type of hinges and a false bottom for access. Anyone have any experience with this? I am currently in the planning stages, but would like to build this part soon, just needs ideas.

Thanks,

post #5 of 5 Old 11-01-2013, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgrider View Post

quick update I started insulation and some drywall in what will be the media area. The Plan is for a BulkHead which will cover the Projector Screen and the motoroized Elite 100H will drop from slit in drywall on bottom of bulkhead.

QUESTION: I would like to have the bottom piece accessible in the event that I have a problem with the Screen and need to get into the bulkhead. I have been considering some type of hinges and a false bottom for access. Anyone have any experience with this? I am currently in the planning stages, but would like to build this part soon, just needs ideas.

Thanks,

You could use the same type attachments used for holding speaker front grilles in place.

http://www.amazon.com/Pressfit-Speaker-Grill-Guides-Pair/dp/B0002KR7ZE/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2

Or

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Grill-Guides-Pair/dp/B0002KR11O/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_1
these come in a pack of 12 so it would surely hold up a velvet covered frame.....
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page