My simple setup to get me by until I can furnish the media room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought a new house in October 2012 and finally getting around to installing some HT equipment in it. For right now, it's mostly stuff that I had laying around already and for now, I'm focusing on the main Living Room. After that is done, then I'll actually work on the media room upstairs that is currently being used for storage (blashpemy, I know).

The Living Room is 15' W x 19' L x 24' tall. Basically, a two story room with a balcony from the game room overlooking it. This past Friday, I installed 2 Monoprice 6.5" in-wall speakers for the front channels. This weekend, I'll be installing the remaining 2 speakers (same) for the rear channels as well as a Monoprice 5.25" center channel. The amp is a Denon AVR-1612 with a Samsung 50" plasma that looks tiny on such a huge wall, but seems about right when watching it from the couch or recliner.

The subwoofer is a cheap Sony sub from a HTIB from almost 20 years ago. It sounds terrible, doesn't put out enough volume for such a tall space, so it will be replaced this weekend as well. So if you have any recommendations for what size, powered, unpowered, etc. in the $400 range, I'd love to hear some options.

Here is a few pics of the progress so far. Haven't reinstalled the baseboard yet as I still have rear speakers to run.

9RHCp6bl.jpg

Y8J94FTl.jpg

And if you're wondering why I didn't run wiring while the house was being built, it's mainly because my construction manager was a jerk and really didn't feel like doing it, so they made the price ridiculous and then told me that they weren't flexible with where I could place the outlets. So I figured I'll do it myself and do it exactly how I want it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Got around to installing the center channel this weekend as well as painting the in-wall speakers. Also added a Polk Audio PSW110 sub to replace the almost 20 year old cheap Sony HTIB sub.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the way the Monoprice speakers sound and this should work for me until we get our media room cleaned out and ready for the real deal set up.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Wow, that first picture does make the 50" look tiny! I know it is just a temp setup, but I imagine filling that room with bass would be a challenge smile.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM

Liked: 19
If you're going to spend money on a permanent solution in the future, then just go to Craigslist and buy a used Home Theatre in the Box type solution. You can probably sell it in a year or two for what you bought it for. Then you have a headstart on saving for your permanent solution.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page