Help Mounting TV to IKEA Media Center - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony KDL-55W900A

http://store.sony.com/55-class-54.6-diag-w900a-internet-tv-zid27-KDL55W900A/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs

that I would like to mount to my IKEA Expedit TV Storage Unit.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30218111/

I am a complete novice when it comes to wall mounting and DIY projects of any sort, but I have been reading through the forums and the Internet and I think I have a plan on how to do this, but there are a couple of issues that I am unsure of that I would greatly appreciate any input on.

Firstly, the specs on the IKEA site state that the back panel of the unit can support up to a 55" and 55 lbs TV. My TV is is 55" and 43.4 lb, so I should be good there, but that only leaves ~11.6 lbs for the mounting bracket. After researching mounts, my current plan is to go with the Sanus VLL5.

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/visionmount/low-profile-mount/VLL5
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus-premium-fixed-wall-mount-for-most-51-80-tvs-black/9270073.p?id=1219011467769&skuId=9270073#tab=specifications

I couldn't find a weight on the Sanus page, but the Best Buy specifications lists the mount at 5.7 lbs, giving me ~6 lbs of breathing room on the IKEA's weight rating. The mount claims it can hold up to 125 lbs, which should be more than enough, and has pretty much all of the features I could want, given my circumstances. Assuming all of this is sane up until now, this leads me to two issues:

1. The mount is intended to be used with studs in a wall, but I am going to be attaching it directly to the reinforced backboard of my unit. The mount manual states that the minimum horizontal space between fasteners is 16". The entire width of the IKEA backboard is about 15 1/2". So my question is would it be OK just use the innermost mounting holes, making the distance between the 2 sides only ~8-10", especially since the weight of the TV is almost 3 times less than the maximum rating of the mount under ideal conditions. Or would there be a better way to do this, such as putting the mount off center with the board and trying to get the fasteners as far apart as possible? Though that would put them closer to the edges of the board, and my gut tells me that putting them closer to the middle would be more structurally sound, but I'm not really sure.

2. My other issue is exactly what type of fasteners to use in this situation. I'm pretty sure I need some type of bolt (or screw?) that will go all the way through the backboard (after drilling holes) and then a nut (and flat washer? fender washer? no washer?), but I'm quickly discovering there are way more combinations and types of fasteners than I ever imagined. The backboard itself is approximately 2/3" thick and there is another ~2" between the back of the board and the wall, though the unit could be pulled a bit further from the wall if necessary. The mount comes with 5⁄16 in. x 2 3⁄4 in. Lag Bolts, but it doesn't sound like those would be optimal in my situation. I'm thinking I need a 5/16" diameter some type of bolt/screw but the length is less clear to me (other than no greater than ~2 2/3"). Any suggestions on the best type of fasteners for this would be very helpful.

I haven't been able to find much online about mounting a TV to this specific unit, so any suggestions or input would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You can do this! Take a deep breath and relax. Your nut and bolt plan is spot on. The width of the backer board of your cabinet is fine. I would use at least 6 mounting points. Stay at least 1" away from the outside edges and try to center a third, top and bottom with the dividing board in the lower section, just to lock things in. If you are worried about weight distribution and tear out, use a small washer behind the bolt's head, on top of the mounting bracket, then use a fender washer to distribute the weight on the backside of your mounting board, add a lock washer and nut.
If you are concerned about the backer board holding, buy longer bolts for the center , and add an aluminum bar or perforated steel strut, painted black running vertically between your upper and lower middle fasteners. then screw it into the back of that lower divider.
Above all, follow the manufacturer's instructions about mounting the cabinet to the wall, after the TV is in place, "This furniture must be secured to the wall with the enclosed anti-topple device.
Different wall materials require different types of fasteners. Use fasteners suitable for the walls in your home (not included)"

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, it helps a lot. My only other question is do you have any opinion on what type of bolt would be ideal for the situation. Carriage, hex, etc?
post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
hex head machine bolt.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #5 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 PM

I have the same ikea unit. I have an older 32' LCD (heavy) mounted and I used lag screws - a bunch of them, maybe 8 or so. IMO, the connection is secure enough with lag screws.

However, this is in my kids play room and it scares me. What concerns me is that the back piece where you bolt the mount into is secured to the cabinet with dowels and screws. This is all particle board and my guess is that if I tried to rip the TV off, the break point might be where the back board meets the cabinet. Your TV is 40 lbs so it might be ok but I reinforced that piece with some basic 90 degree metal brackets.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
ahkim,
Assuming this is against a wall, I would get a 2x8 long enough to run from the top of your TV mounting all the way to the floor. Get some longer lag bolts and shove it up against the back and solid to the floor, then bolt all the way through into the 2x8. It will function as backing strengthening the particle board as well as take weight and transfer it down to the floor. There would be no harm in adding glue between the 2x8 and backer board before bolting together either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page