New install - surround speaker placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-13-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I am totally new to home AV design, and was after some direction around surround speaker placement.
When we built our home 6 yrs ago, i tried to wire the lounge for a future surround setup, and i am now trying to complete this.

I wanted to go for the minimal look so put speaker cable drops as below;

- inwall fronts and with the centre below the TV
- inwall surrounds
- in ceiling rears
- sub options in diagonally opposite corners

Room is 16.5' x 14.75' x 8' with TV on the longer wall and main viewing from approx. 10'.

I have installed 8.5" in-wall fronts with a dual 5.25" centre, and could only manage a 7.25' separation between L & R channels.
At this stage i was only looking at doing 5.1 or 5.2, so have a couple of issues with surround placement.

1. The side wall cable drops would place the surrounds slightly forward of the main listening location (due to a window)
2. The better half was not overly keen on the cosmetic look of a speaker positioned in an odd position on the wall

I was contemplating using the ceiling cable drops to install 6.5" angled(15 degrees) in-ceiling speakers as the L&R surrounds.
What is the best option here as i seem to read a lot of conflicting info on in-ceiling speaker performance?

Will mounting the surrounds in-wall forward of the listening position be better that having them in-ceiling?
If i do put them in-ceiling, then what is the best location?
Will 7.1 actually be noticable in a room of that size?

I greatly appreciate any assistance.

cheers
Dave
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page