Trouble Understanding Screen Size Calculator - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am sorry for the basic question but I recently ordered a projector, Optoma HD131Xe, and am concerned about a "warning" when I use the distance calculator.

I would like my screen to be about 97" (84" wide). As I use the calculator on the company website it states that my projector would have to be 11' 6" away from the screen which is what I was going to base it on but I then noticed that there is a red "warning" that reads "recommended image brightness for rooms with low ambient light"

What does that mean? The room it will be in it will be extremely dark but that warning does not go away until the screen gets 130" diagonally, which is too big.

I am guessing that I will be fine but had a small freak out after ordering the projector and noticing that statement. Am I going to be fine? I am not sure what the other settings mean but it has the screen gain at 1.0 and the ratio at 16:9- is that where I want things?

Sorry! Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, I am guessing that I should be fine and that being that close is a requirement if I have a bright room but again, want clarification so I know I did not order a poorly fitting projector for my space.
Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:41 PM
DGF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I haven't used a PJ calculator for some time, but I think you're in good shape. I'm guessing that the "warning" isn't actually a warning - it's a notification that, in this case, your projector will produce a good quality image in a room with low ambient light. The "warning" goes away at 130" because you're starting to get outside the recommended parameters for a good picture. If you have a room with higher ambient light levels, your picture gets washed out easier, so you would have to change one of the parameters (distance, screen size, or even the pj itself) to get back within the recommended range.

The other settings you refer to are important, but the default values are sensible. The gain and screen ratio are dictated by your specific screen - if you know the properties, dial them into the calculator, if not leave them alone.

Dave
binney59 likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your time!