Best way to wire this home theater? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to wire up someone's 5.1 receiver to work with CATV and Blu-Ray signals.
A/V receiver is a Sony STR-K750P (~2002/3)
TV is a Samsung LN46D550
BDP is a BD610
Comcast HD cable box (don't have the model# on me)

BDP only has HDMI and composite/RCA out.
AVR has digital coax and optical, no HDMI.
TV only has optical and RCA audio out.

How do I need to wire this? Would a different BRD with more outputs help? Or is the only way with a AVR with HDMI?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I recommend upgrading the receiver. The existing Sony isn't an overly powerful model so even a modest 2012 or 2013 AVR would make a nice upgrade. Look for a model with HDMI standby pass-through so the person doesn't have to switch the receiver on if they just want to watch cable TV.

The TV has HDMI in; the sources have HDMI out; the HDMI receiver is the logical missing piece.

post #3 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 499
I agree an AVR upgrade would be a wise choice...

Given the gear on-hand, run HDMI to the TV from each of the sources, and use digital audio links (optical or coax) from the sources to the Sony AVR. That will require switching audio and video separately (universal remote can help with that). The other downside is the lack of the highest-quality audio from BD media - but no difference for non-BD sources like cableTV.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

You could also run both decives into the TV using HDMI, then the audio out of the TV into the Sony via optical. But the TV will only output stereo audio that way--you'll lose 5.1 audio to the home theater speakers.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

You could also run both decives into the TV using HDMI, then the audio out of the TV into the Sony via optical. But the TV will only output stereo audio that way--you'll lose 5.1 audio to the home theater speakers.

That functionality will highly depend on the capabilities of the TV. Haven't looked up his particular model, but many TVs will NOT output audio from HDMI sources (regardless of audio format) - the only thing they'll output would be audio from the internal tuner (and apps if the TV provides them). YMMV...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

The manual for this TV states that optical out is 5.1 only from TV signals, and is 2ch from BDP's, etc. Sorry I assumed all were like that, which is why I didn't mention that option. 2ch is no good.

I've been wondering if I can use some kind of splitter. Upgrading the AVR is going to be difficult, but if that's the only way, we'll do it.

post #7 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

There is no way to get multichannel sound from the existing Blu-ray through the existing AVR. Best you can do is run HDMI to the TV and optical from the TV back to the AVR (for stereo sound only).

You can get multichannel sound from the cable box, but only if it will allow you to output HDMI to the TV and audio via coax/optical to the AVR simultaneously.

If you go the route of finding a Blu-ray player with audio outputs that the AVR will accept, the same caveat applies--the player will have to output HDMI video at the same time as optical or analog multichannel audio.

None of the same caveats applies if you upgrade the receiver--everything will just work.

post #8 of 8 Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page