Question about throw distances and ceiling fans - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I am a total noob to projectors and I am trying to get a room setup for the first time. I could have a throw of 12' if I use the wide part of the room but the ceiling fan might be in the way, or I can move the screen to the left and get inbetween 2 fans with a throw distance of 10 feet You'll see the fan in the pic

I dont have a projector yet, but I was looking at the optoma HD131

Should I move left and deal with the shorter throw?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I dont know what the rest of your room dimensions are, but I recently purchased the Benq W1080st which is a short throw projector for $1,000 from Amazon.

I am currently projecting a 100-110' image from approximately 6 feet away, would that help you avoid the ceiling fans?

Regards,

Douce

post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Possibly, But I would be sitting approx 10 foot away vs 15 foot if I have to move to the narrower portion of the room. Would a fan 5-6 foot out from the wall actually interfere with the projection?
post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 AM

I would wait for someone more experienced than myself to chime in but ill give it a shot anyway.

There are a couple of things we would need to know to answer your question better, as in what screen size you'll go with and how tall your room is.

From a mathematical standpoint, I'll assume from 12 feet away with a 110' screen which is 8 feet tall.

The point your concerned with is half the distance to the wall (6ft) so at that point the light path would be 4 feet below the top of your screen, so I'd say your safe.

Regards,

Douce

post #5 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

The ceiling is 8.5 foot but I need to start the screen about a foot below that as the ceiling has an angle to it against the walls. (If that makes sense.)
I'd like a 100 - 110 screen but would need to know if the projector I'm buying could handle the screen size @ that throw. ( I think thats how it works, you pic the projector, then match the screen size?)
post #6 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

How do you like the BenQ? That one seems to have more flexibility to it
post #7 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 AM

Ok first off, i mislead you with my second post, I was using the screen width, a 110" screen would only be 4.5ft tall and therefore the light path would be 2.25ft from the top of your screen, so you might want to mock it up with a simple piece of string to see if the light will catch a fan blade or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCLA1902 View Post

The ceiling is 8.5 foot but I need to start the screen about a foot below that as the ceiling has an angle to it against the walls. (If that makes sense.)
I'd like a 100 - 110 screen but would need to know if the projector I'm buying could handle the screen size @ that throw. ( I think thats how it works, you pic the projector, then match the screen size?)

Yes that projector will handle 110' image, 12 feet from the lens, or 100' image 11ft from the lens, so you should be ok to get the screen size you're looking for. I'm in the same boat, I dont have a screen yet, I intend to make my own but for now I'm projecting directly onto a grey wall to get a feel for what size the PJ can handle and what works with the room it's in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCLA1902 View Post

How do you like the BenQ? That one seems to have more flexibility to it

So far so good, I just received it yesterday though, so I have only had time to tweak it and watch one movie. I was amazed with the clarity and colour accuracy....though it is skewing a bit yellow/orange so I want to play with it some more to fix that up.

Regards,

Douce

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page