New Homeowner - Basement Redo Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-16-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I've been following along on this forum for a long time and have learned a ton (helped me setup my pseduo-theater/game room in the house we were renting). I just bought my first house and it has a basement (about 2/3 finished). Currently, the ceiling is all exposed to the floor joists (except for the biggest of the rooms) and all drywalled. I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to set up the basement for a movie, video game, bar, fun area smile.gif.

I did a Sketchup of the basement and I'll to my best to help explain. The second picture is the easiest to explain from...

On the right side, there is a little outdent and that is where the stairs come down. Just ahead, there is a small room where we just have storage in for now. As you can tell, the hallway is fairly wide (5.5 ft.). And then toward the back, there is a door that goes into the larger room. It's long and not very wide. The last door in the very back goes to the unfinished, laundry, bathroom area. The one thing I was really hoping to do was to knock down the wall. As you can see, it's over a foot wide. We have come to find out that behind it is cinder blocks. I'm not sure how easy that is to knock down and put a beam in (any one have experience or know a rough estimated cost? - wondering if it's $500 or $5000).

As for components, I have everything from our previous setup, but am likely looking to upgrade over the coming years. I have a projector, screen, surround sound (first thing to upgrade), Apple TV, Xbox 360, PS3, switches, etc.

Any advice, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all the thoughts and ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Congrats on your first house purchase smile.gif The sketchups are nice but you'll probably get more responses with actual pictures. Also tell us what you are wanting to do, what your budget is, etc.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Likely very closer to $5K. How many seats are you after?

Your room is about 4" narrower then mine, and a foot longer.

My current setup is a deep AT spaced and 54x96" XD AT screen. The av rack is outside the
theater. Mine's just two seats but three wide would fit.

Another thought is to flip the room end for end. Do in wall speakers 6" off an XD AT DIY screen.
Front row 2 seats, and a riser with a three seats. Find yourself a cheap Middle Atlantic Slim 5 rack
or 19" four post computer rack and frame it in, in the hallway. Ebay shelves or find a rack with shelves,
and do some Stormtrooper1015 style face plates. An infrared repeater system with the ir receiver under
the screen would give you control in the theater.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1136907/project-internet-theater-build-color-and-decorative-panel-input-appreciated/60
post 62.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Could you post an overhead floor plan for me to mark up with suggestions?
post #5 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

A few ideas...

2.jpg 174k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (174.3 KB, 13 views)
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page