my high value entertainment, low price theater setup. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2013, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

so i'm in the process of finishing up my basic. yet very functional and froogle home theater setup, i currently live in an apartment so i really don't want to go all out and make something with all the frills. i feel bad enough as it is putting as many holes in the walls as i did...

regardless...

before.

after!

NOTE: the setup is still very WIP doing fine tuning and adjustments. note the HDMI cable running across the room..

not quite long enough to run along the wall just yet. got another one coming. also. i need to get some sort of fine

adjustment device for the projector to make full use of the screen and tilt just slightly. 

once those arrive ill be organizing that rats nest of wiring at the "rack"

and the best part. I thought having such a setup was crazy expensive ($5000+) +

constant maintenance on your projector with cleaning the filters and $300+ lamps..

Turns out i only payed ~$1500 including a LOT of tools i didn't have!

all thanks to the latest in today technology, The humble LED has revolutionized that! 

i for one am for LED projectors! movies are better in a darker environment anyway! 

here is a list of notable devices in my setup:

Projector: Optima ML500 LED projector                                       $600

Centre: Yamaha HTR 3066 + 5.1 speakers+ 4 HDMI inputs            $350

Media: Home Theater PC, Gigabyte z77n-wifi,                             ~$400

Games: PS3,Wii u,xbox360                                                      ~$roomates

screen: Inland 100 inch                                                               $60

hardware: (tv mounts mounting hardware curtains etc)                    $130

4-5 days of backbreaking labor                                                     $pain

popcorn                                                                                      $1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total                                                                                        $1,541

give or take a few $100 for the unexpected purchases that will haunt you throughout the project...

however the reward is worth every penny!

for those avoiding there personal home theater experience because its too expensive or you live in an apartment. here is your excuse! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Nice work! I hope that your roommates are grateful. And it's great that you have a nice large, square space to work with--not all apartment-dwellers have that luxury.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-19-2013, 07:26 AM

Looks awesome!  I'm trying to do something similar in my modest 3 BR/1BA house.  I'm on a tight budget but I would love to get a projector setup and running.  What are the dimensions of your room and how far away is your projector placed?

post #4 of 5 Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

here is the apartment layout i have. 

i have a 3 foot plank mounted on the wall uses both normal shelving brackets and wired up to the ceiling. its a oddball looking contraption but it does the job fine, its placed about 4 inches or so from the edge of the plank on a custom platform i made for fine adjustments. this is a temporary setup until i build the "housing" for it. the housing will be a permanent mount and also a way of reducing "flare/splash" light coming from the projector. here it is at its current state.

'

post #5 of 5 Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Well done on the cheap and easy.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page