Mixing 1.4 to 1.3 causing trouble? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-19-2013, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a bit of a stupid question I fear but I can't find anything authoritative and I'm out of ideas.

I just moved into a house with a wall mounted TV and in-wall HDMI to some built in cabinets. Plugging any device via cables into the HDMI wall plate in my cabinets doesn't produce a signal to the TV.

The system was working for the previous owner (who left the TV), plugging directly into that input on the TV works, and, what's weirder, plugging my Chromecast into the wall plate *does* work, though it's a bit snowy on the 70" Sharp.

Now, as the Chromecast is a dongle, it bypasses the cables I brought. I looked at the cable left behind by the previous owner connecting the TV and it's a high speed (1.4?). The cables I'm using on the cabinet side are cheap, several years old, and presumably not high speed.

My question is basically, is it possible that mixing from 1.3 at the device to 1.4 (presumably) in wall and up to the TV is causing problems? I have to imagine that's it, and picking up a couple 1.4 cables should do the trick?

Follow up question: I have a Denon e400 showing up on Monday. If I'm right about the cable mismatch, will it matter to the Denon if its inputs are 1.3 if I keep the 1.4 chain solid on the output side of things?

I'm extremely technical but not so much in the av world, so I'm not sure if this is totally insane, if I'm missing something obvious, or if mixing cable speeds is always idiotic.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Cables aren't 1.3 or 1.4.except sometimes they have been marketed that way. HDMI high speed cables and non high speed cables can be mixed although you may not get all the benefits of hdmi 1.4 from the units they're connecting (like 3D). If none of your cables work (hard to imagine they're all bad), I'd look for a physical reason the connection isn't being made. Maybe some rodents thought the cable was yummy. How did you look at an in-wall cable?

post #3 of 4 Old 10-19-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wasn't able to look at the in wall. But when I connect the Chromecast dongle directly to the in wall faceplate in the cabinet, it works, so presumably the in wall cable is functioning at some level.

Even weirder, if I use the same cables and plug them into the TV directly, it works. Very odd.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-19-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 779
I was thinking the dongle was usb, not familiar with it, but if hdmi that doesn't make a lot of sense that that works although you do say it's "snowy". Can you describe this wall faceplate/cabinet and your connection setup some more just in case? What length of cable is probably in the wall? You might also try posting in this forum http://www.avsforum.com/f/168/hdmi-q-a-the-one-connector-world

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page