AustinJerry's Set-Up - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 04-02-2015, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7558 Post(s)
Liked: 4223
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Jerry,
A technical question for you. To calculate the LF/RF speaker angles, did you do the following. Assuming adjacent right angle triangles at MLP on the chart in post #1 , did you compute:

Adjacent = 108"/2 = 54" (i.e. 1/2 the distance between your LF and RF speakers, assuming your center channel and MLP represents 0 degrees)
Hypotenuse = 108" (distance from center of LF to MLP)

Angle (360 degrees) = Inverse cosine of (54"/108")= 60
To put on a +/- 180 degrees scale, that becomes 60/2 = 30 degrees

Note that this is the physical angle, not complicated by things like differences in speaker level or calculation of electronic delays.

I think this is right, but just confirming to do some room brainstorming of my own.
Stuart,

I have a small Excel worksheet that I created to calculate the speaker angles. Here is a link to download a Zip file with the worksheet: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Calculator.zip

In case you are not an Excel person, let me know, and I will cut and paste the actual formula into a response. And yes, it involves Arc Cosines (I had to brush up on my old trig knowledge!).
corradizo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 04-02-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Stuart,

I have a small Excel worksheet that I created to calculate the speaker angles. Here is a link to download a Zip file with the worksheet: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Calculator.zip

In case you are not an Excel person, let me know, and I will cut and paste the actual formula into a response. And yes, it involves Arc Cosines (I had to brush up on my old trig knowledge!).
Thanks, Jerry! This will be handy as I debate some upcoming speaker placements and rearrangements of our living space (or future ones if we wind up moving after all).

I'd actually Googled "how to find angles using lengths", and my sophmore HS geometry came rushing back too!

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Misc.: Oppo 103, Oppo 203 UHD player, JRiver
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides and Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 11.4.6
post #33 of 44 Old 06-27-2015, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your post in the PSB thread, I saw your configuration and have a beginner's question.
I noticed you have Marantz 8801 which is 11.1 Channel and Emotiva XPA-7 which is 7 channel amp.

Do you know both or separately from the source ?
Can you kindly explain what benefit I get by getting the XPA-7 amp ? and do I need such powerful amp for PSB Imagine T2 with PB13 subwoofer ?

My living room is about 23x19 feet and 19 feet open ceiling.

Thanks,
D.

Martin Logan Motion 40

post #34 of 44 Old 06-28-2015, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Nice!!
post #35 of 44 Old 09-15-2015, 01:05 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Wink

I am amazed your wife let you install these traps!

Last edited by wse; 09-20-2015 at 02:05 PM.
post #36 of 44 Old 02-07-2016, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hi Jerry,

I like your set up and great info from this. I am starting to put room Treatments in this week. I was just wondering. Are those 244 Gik's behind the center channel?
post #37 of 44 Old 02-07-2016, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Hi Jerry,

I like your set up and great info from this. I am starting to put room Treatments in this week. I was just wondering. Are those 244 Gik's behind the center channel?
Thank you. The treatments behind the center are actually "Monster Bass Traps", which are a little thicker than the 244's.
post #38 of 44 Old 11-10-2016, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Hi Jerry,

Beautiful setup i'm sure it sound amazing love your Equipment stand, i'm looking to buy one that my wife will approve what brand is it?
about the 88A did you cut the balanced cables or use the Phoenix to XLR cable from miniDSP?

Thank you

Focal chorus 726 V, Focal chorus 705 V, Focal chorus CC 700 V, SVS SB13 ULTRA x 2,
Maranz AV7702 MKII, Emotiva XPA5 Gen3, miniDSP 88A, Oppo 103D, Samsung LED TV Series 9,
Mac Mini 2011, Apple TV Gen3, ELAN home automation

www.avsion.com.au
post #39 of 44 Old 11-11-2016, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsion View Post
Hi Jerry,

Beautiful setup i'm sure it sound amazing love your Equipment stand, i'm looking to buy one that my wife will approve what brand is it?
about the 88A did you cut the balanced cables or use the Phoenix to XLR cable from miniDSP?

Thank you
The equipment rack is made by a company called BDI, and the model is "Icon". Unfortunately, this model is no longer available, and the BDI web site no longer lists any similar equipment racks.

I purchased XLR cables from MonoPrice, cut them in half, and wired them directly into the Phoenix blocks. The procedure is documented here. Using XLR-to-Phoenix adapters adds a lot of bulky connectors around the back of the unit, which I did not like. Besides, when you cut cables, you can make the cables the exact required length, which makes for a nice, neat installation.
post #40 of 44 Old 11-11-2016, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
The equipment rack is made by a company called BDI, and the model is "Icon". Unfortunately, this model is no longer available, and the BDI web site no longer lists any similar equipment racks.

I purchased XLR cables from MonoPrice, cut them in half, and wired them directly into the Phoenix blocks. The procedure is documented here. Using XLR-to-Phoenix adapters adds a lot of bulky connectors around the back of the unit, which I did not like. Besides, when you cut cables, you can make the cables the exact required length, which makes for a nice, neat installation.
Thanks Jerry,

its a shame really nice, i found this nice unit https://www.geckoproducts.com.au/tv-...-Stand-GKR-562
the one i use too small now, cant fit anything else anymor as i just keep adding equipment, i realy need proper one and most important keep it away the speakers for best acoustics.

I saw your post very helpful, i did the 88A last night took few hours as i use EMOTIVA XLRs, when i opened the connector to check which one the ground/drain it wasn't possible as it was all plastic moulded
looking on the options after cutting the cable, i had a shielded braid or shielded aluminium foil so i choose the shielded braid after connecting everything it was working. i agree it's more neath then the miniDSP connectors but not strong at all especially if hanging, what they should do is have had XLR connectors build in the chassis that way you don't spend hour soldering, stronger and not ruin your XLRs which was heartbreaking.

Thanks

Focal chorus 726 V, Focal chorus 705 V, Focal chorus CC 700 V, SVS SB13 ULTRA x 2,
Maranz AV7702 MKII, Emotiva XPA5 Gen3, miniDSP 88A, Oppo 103D, Samsung LED TV Series 9,
Mac Mini 2011, Apple TV Gen3, ELAN home automation

www.avsion.com.au
post #41 of 44 Old 12-12-2016, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey Jerry,

I see you spent a small portion of your budget on power conditioning. I may have missed it, but didn't see that piece of equipment listed. Could you tell me what you're using there?

I just bought the 940D and a Marantz SR7010. Going to get some kind of APC for my TiVo and SlingBox, but would like some kind of "conditioner" to protect/improve the lifespan of the TV and receiver. I figure I can hang the APC off the conditioner as well.

Thanks, in advance...
post #42 of 44 Old 12-12-2016, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan36_23 View Post
Hey Jerry,

I see you spent a small portion of your budget on power conditioning. I may have missed it, but didn't see that piece of equipment listed. Could you tell me what you're using there?

I just bought the 940D and a Marantz SR7010. Going to get some kind of APC for my TiVo and SlingBox, but would like some kind of "conditioner" to protect/improve the lifespan of the TV and receiver. I figure I can hang the APC off the conditioner as well.

Thanks, in advance...
Actually, the slice in my worksheet called power conditioning is currently $0. The label is still next to the graph, but there really isn't a slice in the pie chart. I have corrected the graph now.

Originally, I had an APC power distribution unit. I no longer have it and don't believe power conditioning is important any more. I have two top-quality power strips I purchased from Emotiva, and they are plugged directly into a 20 amp circuit with no additional protection. You can spend a ton of money on power conditioning, but I question whether it is worth it.

Good luck.
post #43 of 44 Old 12-12-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked: 1698
Quote:
Actually, the slice in my worksheet called power conditioning is currently $0. The label is still next to the graph, but there really isn't a slice in the pie chart. I have corrected the graph now.

Originally, I had an APC power distribution unit. I no longer have it and don't believe power conditioning is important any more. I have two top-quality power strips I purchased from Emotiva, and they are plugged directly into a 20 amp circuit with no additional protection. You can spend a ton of money on power conditioning, but I question whether it is worth it.

Good luck.
I suspect the need for a UPS (i.e. more than just power conditioning) is going to depend on the quality of the power where you live. Some locations have very poor power with frequent dropouts. That can be very bad for projectors, for example.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #44 of 44 Old 05-19-2017, 07:27 AM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Nice setup! I find it interesting that your front sub pair, when doing a combine sweep, improve one another largely. As you know, my situation is the opposite. My second seems to being down my first as far as response goes. I guess just another proof of how important room treatments are and how disruptive a room can really be if untreated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Sonos , Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page