Finished My Basement & Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-25-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Built our home back in 2008 and waited 5 years to finish the basement because I thought it would cost too much.  If I know what I know now I would have at least started it back then.  I waited for sales on wood, drywall etc and it wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought.  Basement is around 1850 sq ft but I only finished around 1000 sq ft of it.  My only advice is don't get married to any pre-construction ideas as you will find you will change your mind more than once through the project.  I originally had ideas of a pool table and larger countertop area etc but as I worked through the project my plans evolved, a lot.  Wait for the sales and let the professionals handle things like the electric as you don't want to burn your house down.  I'm not super handy but had a few friends that were able to teach me as we went along.  Have a bunch of friends help you with the framing and then you and your family can tackle everything else on your own time.  I hung the drywall, installed the carpet, did the ceiling, painted, decorated etc.  Once the framing was done it was all down hill.  If I can do it on a limited budget anyone can.

john171 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-25-2013, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very nice look, really like your use of the drapes to close off the "theater" when it's viewing time.
You should be very happy with the end result of the entire project, looks like a great place to entertain, not just watch movies...
When you get a chance could you put up a list of your equipment, lights, sound treatments, seats etc. we all are curious, and may want to "borrow' some of your ideas! rolleyes.gif
Congrats!!

John
Schloob1 likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-25-2013, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I second John's sentiments. Would especially like to know about your seating, as I am looking for something that is a couch but appears to be wider than 6' of seating but narrow enough to fit my space. Also hard to tell but appears that at least the ends also recline? Love the rest of the look and wish I had that kind of space but unfortunately do not frown.gif Any chance you live anywhere in the Chicagoland area btw?
post #4 of 20 Old 10-26-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys. Any questions I can answer ill do my best. I got the theater seating at Value City. They are pieces of a leather sectional. I believe it's the St Malo collection. There are 3 different versions of the St Malo and I also believe they come in 3 different colors of leather. The most comfortable seat/couch I have ever sat in. As soon as my butt hit the fabric I was sold. This collection has end sections, middle sections, chaise sections, corner sections which allows you to just buy what you need for your space. They also have armrest sections that are about 12" wide that you can put between any of the sections. Other company's beside VC sell this product. I found Value City had many of these pieces on clearance so i drove to 2 different VC stores to buy the pieces I needed way cheaper on clearance. Most pieces are power recline but the middle chairs have an option for manual recline. Here are some photos. These pieces will do a full recline but only takes up 4" of off the wall space so perfect for tight spaces. I live outside Chicago in McHenry if your close your welcome to take a look.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-26-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some photos from the internet of this sectional

post #6 of 20 Old 10-26-2013, 04:59 PM

Awesome RLBIL, I'll definitely have to give these a look then since I'm out here in the western burbs so I have a couple Value City Furniture's around my area. And I'm looking for something decent but that will not hurt my wallet too much. Hopefully I will not have to take you up on the offer but appreciate it, if I do would of course bring some tasty beverages with me wink.gifcool.gif
post #7 of 20 Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I like your drapes section too. I have a room that's really wide that I'm only going to use half of for my theater.

Is it just kinda an aesthetics thing? Do you see it being one of those things you install but never really use?

Regardless, nice theater. smile.gif
post #8 of 20 Old 10-28-2013, 12:55 PM

Nice looking space there! Well done. I like the seating choices as well. Too bad you couldn't include the pool table.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-28-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hey fellas.  The curtains do come in handy once and awhile.  If your having a larger group over and people are watching a movie they like to close the curtain so there is no reflection on the screen.  I chose not to wall off the theater as I wanted a more open concept and I don't regret it at all.  You can see the screen from way outside of the theater which is cool for Super Bowl and other events.  The chairs are nice cause they ends are 42" I think which is plenty of room for 2 people to sit nice and close.  The middle sections are 32" I believe.  If you do 2 ends with a 12" arm rest section in the middle with the cupholders looks just like theater seats.  The projector is an Epson 8350.  I love it.  Its my first projector so I have nothing to compare it to.  I ended up using white drywall paint over the drywall and people cant believe that there is no screen.  It looks awesome.  I would tell anyone to try paint first before wasting money on a screen.  I used trim to painted flat black to surround the screen area.  I was going to hold off on a ceiling until I was able to afford the nice 2'x2' tiles but my buddy had a bunch of the cheap 2'x4' fibre tiles so I painted the ones in theater a dark brown and in the other areas a lighter brown.  I found some higher end 2'x2' carpet tiles with padding already attached at Home Depot on clearance.  Color is great and you cant even see the seems.  I laid it down right over concrete.  It already has peel and stick backing but I also sprayed an adhesive on them.  Speakers are these small Klipsch and they sound great.  Theater sconces are like $30 from Menards.  If I can answer any other questions please let me know.

post #10 of 20 Old 10-29-2013, 05:27 AM

Awesome looking set up! Can you share the paint color/brand that you used for the theater section? Additionally, where did you purchase the curtains? Great job!!!!
post #11 of 20 Old 10-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
How big is your screen size? I'm going to be buying the PJ well before deciding on a screen or size when my build is done. I'm estemating on around a 120 to 140 inch diagnal. Still debating on 16:9 or 2.35 but leaning toward 16:9 for sports. I'll just shine it on the wall to start and decide from there what to do.

Great looking space though! I really like the way it turned out. Looks like a great place to hang out and entertain!

I live in the northern sub's up in Antioch. I'll have to take a look at value city also. I like the look of those couches!
post #12 of 20 Old 10-29-2013, 02:24 PM

Just to confirm, but your middle piece is manual recline and NOT power. You mention the "option" of manual recline, just confirming since based on at least what I can tell the armless only has a manual and no power option. I only went into the store to try it out for now and did not ask them questions. You are right in that they are pretty comfortable. Now if I can only find them on clearance like you did I would be all set.

In regards to measurements, based on what I saw in store your end pieces are 39" and the middle piece is 31".
post #13 of 20 Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

The middle piece can be ordered in manual or electric recline. For me it wasn't worth the extra money so i chose manual for middle and power for the ends. I fall asleep the the darn things all the time as they are too comfortable.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-30-2013, 10:12 AM

Cool, unless I can get some great prices for the 2 ends than I'll probably end up having to get the manual as well. The mechanism did not seem too bad. Just was a little difficult to get it back into the closed position but imagine typically only the ends will be reclined
the majority of the time. And yes agreed it felt very comfortable, now the important part of having the WAF tested out. It is basically my room but she'll have to like it and be comfortable on it as well since I'm 6' and she is only 5' tall.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Amazing results. If you had just posted pics and no description I don't think any of us would think it was a budget DIY build. LOL @ driving to different stores to get pieces on clearance. I did that with my kitchen table. We saw the table on clearance but that store only had two chairs. Went ahead and bought it then drove around the city to their other locations trying to find more chairs. It worked out in the end smile.gif Like everyone else, I like the seating and the curtain is a nice touch too. Like the paint color on the walls as well. Great job.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-01-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
RLBIL, I love the way your space turned out. Very professional looking, yet warm and inviting. If you don't mind sharing, what was the budget you were working with. It helps to give other people an idea of what can be accomplished for x dollars. I'm getting ready to finish my basement space into an office/media room, and a rec room. I'm doing all the work myself as I have no set timetable. Plans are being approved as we speak and hopefully the permit will be issued in a couple of weeks. Nice work! smile.gif Rick

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #17 of 20 Old 11-01-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post

How big is your screen size? I'm going to be buying the PJ well before deciding on a screen or size when my build is done. I'm estemating on around a 120 to 140 inch diagnal. Still debating on 16:9 or 2.35 but leaning toward 16:9 for sports. I'll just shine it on the wall to start and decide from there what to do.

Great looking space though! I really like the way it turned out. Looks like a great place to hang out and entertain!
The screen size is something I'm still trying to figure out...one minute 16:9 seems OK, then 2.35 seems the better route since I can mask it down to 16:9. I have enough screen material for 2.35, but it will entail making my finished DIY frame wider, plus of course making the masking, and then setting it up to work, manually at first with the plan to get it to auto close and open down the road....... biggrin.gif
post #18 of 20 Old 11-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Thanks, For me sports and movies are equally important so I'm having a problem deciding on what would be best. the trade offs for both bug me. On one hand 16:9 would be great for sports and I'd be able to watch them full screen. But at the same time most of my movies are 2.35 so I'd be loosing a bit in screen size and need to mask the top and bottom. So if I go with 2.35 screen then I'd be able to watch most movies in their full glory but what will that do to sports as far as scaling them down to fit a 16:9 area? I will probably just make the masking and attach them manually what ever way I go. Not sure I'll worry about spending the money on an auto masking screen. But thankfully I'll be able to get the projector first and play around with it on the wall before making my final decision.
john171 likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-21-2013, 12:52 AM

Liked: 10
awesome room man! well done..
love the elegant feel and look!
post #20 of 20 Old 11-21-2013, 05:20 AM

Liked: 10
Nicely done sir! Glad to hear you're happy with the Epson 8350, I'm still torn between it and the Panasonic PT-AR100U for my own build.
confused.gifconfused.gif
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page