Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Hello all,
I am looking to clean up some of my wiring possibly tomorrow.
I have laminate floors and have in the past just drilled into my moldings down into my basement to route the wires across the basement ceiling and then up the other side of the room with holes in the other moldings also.

I have tried to hide these in the past and don't look horrible, but not great either. I have to run some longer cable runs tomorrow and figured it would be a good time to try anew project.

the fishing through the wall seems straight forward to create some I wall speaker wire plates for future connections.
. I am concerned with the fishing from basement to living room though.
I tried to drill up from the basement and never had good luck even at an angle and always went down.
I assume the best way to do this is to remove the moldings and get an angle drill bit to go down? Then maybe cut a small hole in the drywall that can be covered by the moldings again to get actually behind the drywall?

Any insight on this part of the process? My moldings were all replaced (somewhat shoddily by me) at one point . So this may be a good time to just redo all of them now that I understand moldings a little better too. So killing two birds with one stone.
I am not the best with home work though, but research ensures this should be relatively easy project.

Any advise?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-31-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just found a video for a flexibit. I guess I could possibly try this without even pulling moldings for now and try going down from inside the drywall, or up from the bottom and running up?

post #3 of 7 Old 10-31-2013, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If your not confident enough with precise tape measurements to drill from the basement up You can just drill straight down against the sheetrock with a small pilot bit after you pull the molding off then go downstairs measure over from the bit 1.5-2" and then drill straight up and be in the middle of the wall....
post #4 of 7 Old 10-31-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post

I just found a video for a flexibit. I guess I could possibly try this without even pulling moldings for now and try going down from inside the drywall, or up from the bottom and running up?
That will work if your just wanting a box at say outlet height? I was assuming you were looking to go 5-7' above the floor for speakers?? Either way if at outlet height just be sure to stick your arm in the hole where you plan on whichever plate or box you decide to put in and feel around below in the wall for potential wires that may be running through that area before sticking the flex bit in to drill...
post #5 of 7 Old 10-31-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was only planning on doing the wall plate at normal plate heights.. I have a center and two towers. I just wanted nicer terminations into the wall for for the rear channels that just come up sloppily out of my mouldings from the floor below currently. Also maybe route my ethernet up and have nicer terminations from my router to my media switch.
Again just holes that I tried to make look nice, but really arent the nicest.

roadking:
My issue with the basement going up has always been clearance to get a normal drill bit in, even at an angle and knowing where it will come up. I always drilled down because it was easier to angle, but still not as precise as I would like.

I guess I am looking for the easier way to get that hole in the wood framing between the floors. Either cut a hole in the drywall and go in from behind the drywall. Or take off the moldings and drill down from behind where the molding is and hope I have enough space to get behind the drywall.
problem with the molding is not having a nailgun to get them back in and possibly breaking them prying them off. I jacked up my old moldings years ago when putting the flooring in. I learned a few lessons since then, but again, not the most handy person with home stuff.

i can post pics later if people promise not to laugh at my previous work. lol
I want to make it look nicer for now and more functional, as well as make it look nicer for when i move and get rid of the holes from the prior work

post #6 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 07:09 AM

Sure, pics would help to see what your dealing with, flex bits work great along with right angle drills,long /short auger bits.tape measure is key and hopefully able to see nails from the basement that were used to secure the bottom wall plate to the floor ....
post #7 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Another option depending on your skill set is to open the wall, drill the hole, fish the wires and repair the hole.
I like to use a 6" hole saw or pot light saw to open up the wall a foot or so from the floor. The hole will need to be big enough get your drill in with the bit to drill the plate at the bottom. This will let you look for wires, and cross bracing. When complete, I cut a piece of 1x2 that is a few inches wider than the hole, maneuver it into the hole and attache with 2 dry wall screws though the wall into the wood on both sides of the hole. Then place the round cutout piece in the center and attach to wood with screws.. I normally fill the crack with Liquid nails let it cure for a few days and finish it off with setting type drywall compound.. prime and paint..
Yep, lots more work then drilling from the basement.. but if you do not have access below this method works very well.
Another trick if you are going though a wall that backs up to a closet or other out of sight area (behind fridge maybe) is to buy a plastic access panel and cut a hole the proper size for the panel. When done, glue in the panel snap on the cover, done.
I would expect neither of these options are helpful for you purpose but maybe to someone in the future who is doing searches.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page