HO's Basement - Take 2 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 95 Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I like the latest plan with the open theater area. It bothers me that there isn't a sweet spot chair, though. wink.gif

Since you already use JRemote, I would just setup zones in JRiver. You can easily switch zones in JRemote. Do you want mono or stereo zones? You can control the zones with any iOS, Android, or Windows devices. If you wanted to, you could mount permanent touch panels in some zones for control.

You can add audio devices to your HTPC if you want to hardwire each zone. The new 8 channel Behringer Firepower FCA1616 is only $250. You can also keep the amp in your rack. Then all you need to run is speaker cable for each zones. There are other options such DLNA devices or Airplay that will work with JRiver. You could start with hardwired zones and add wireless zones later.

I recently tested a Solid State Logic Alpha Link DAC for dlbeck's theater (he ended up buying one). It has 16 channels and you can add another 16 channels. You can use any leftover channels from your theater for audio zones throughout your house. You can expand to 32 channels at 96 kHz or 64 channels at 48 kHz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 Old 03-01-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks DD, good knowing I can just do this in J River. Love utilizing the iphone remote for it all.

Random other question: thinking of bricking the whole house vs doing the faux stone and hardiboard. Pros/Cons other than the hit to the wallet?

I haven't got a quote yet, just have been talking to others that have.
post #93 of 95 Old 03-02-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Trying to think about how much I want to sink the theater and the steps I could have poured to avoid building the steps later.

Thinking of curving concave or convex like this going down to theater level, in front of the seats....

post #94 of 95 Old 03-02-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Trying to think about how much I want to sink the theater and the steps I could have poured to avoid building the steps later.

Thinking of curving concave or convex like this going down to theater level, in front of the seats....

It's much easier to modify later with wood than concrete in the event you happen to change your mind. Additionally shaping with concrete for perfect symmetry and keeping things level over small spaces such as steps can be challenging. Remember, you're working with "heavy liquid" that wants to follow the path of least resistance and you can't exactly power trowel steps. It's also easier to fasten carpet to wooden stair treads/risers than concrete. Not to mention the cost of labor for concrete steps will likely far outweigh the cost of the lumber to build any shape you want.

You can still get about any finished look you want but I'd suggest making the hole what it needs to be and then fill in the gaps later with the framing of your choice.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #95 of 95 Old 04-01-2014, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

House is too big for budget, cut out the play room above garage, made garage a bit smaller, and shrunk house upper 2 levels from 3100 to 2600 and should meet with draftsman later this week.

Main Floor

2nd Floor

A few minor changes to these and will get better pics w/dimensions upcoming.

Hope to have similar basement design as before just a bit smaller in the general seating area.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page