Need a power center or surge protector.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-06-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any that will do the job and look nice with the other equipment for my media room? Id rather not have a bunch of wires going to a wal-mart brand surge protector that is crammed in the corner of the cabinet for all to see. I already have a whole house surge protector, but as the manufacturer pointed out....my water well could be a source of surges since its downstream of the surge protector. I also have no cable/coax protection. Either way, thats what I need. Id like it to not cost a ton of money either if thats possible.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-06-2013, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Have a look at these. Great reputation, price is right. I actually use a Monster Power Conditioner, but I have one of these on the edit system in my office.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=584417&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-07-2013, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Do they sell anything that is NOT for rack mounting?
post #4 of 15 Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Most rack ears are removable.

Contact Furman to ask if they can be removed. If not, Furman may also be able to help you find one with removable ears.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 15 Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post

...my water well could be a source of surges since its downstream of the surge protector.
Then you should have surge protection where the circuit enters the house.
Quote:
I also have no cable/coax protection.
The cable shield should be grounded where it enters the house. That is usually enough. If you want more, install a coaxial surge protector where the cable enters the house.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-07-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

That would require an ADDITIONAL whole house protection...actually two additional ones since I have two wells.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-120-240-Volt-Residential-Whole-House-Surge-Protector-R00-51110-SRG/202993881#specifications

Ill use those on each well control box. That should be good right?

As for cable grounds....HAHAHA....the cable was installed by Dish Network. There is no 'ground' on the cable shield. It enters the house at the second floor level, which is WAY away from the ground rod the phone company used and opposite the utility entrance. How can I remedy this? What's the proper way to ground it? I have a a dual cable ground block in my wall that I can access, but its about at least 20' away from the nearest ground rod. Will it work to run a ground wire from the block, outside, and 20+ feet over to the rod that the telco used?
post #7 of 15 Old 11-07-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Never use a 2nd ground rod, for a single structure, unless they're bonded together.

I think you would bond the grounding block to the grounding rod, using 20 feet of AWG 8 or AWG 10 solid copper (I can't remember the correct AWG, 8 or 10).

I don't think you'd use a surge protection device on each well - you would ground each incoming cable each from each well by bonding the incoming cables to the house ground. I don't know how that's done. NEC says that each incoming cable should be bonded to the house ground.

If you can't get definitive answers on grounding from your resi electrician (often not very knowledgeable, IMO, but expertise varies widely - some are experts), then you could consult a local electrical engineer with expertise in structural grounding.

That's assuming you can't get good answers online (lots of misinformation when it comes to grounding). Maybe someone with expertise in the grounding of outbuildings will chime in.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 15 Old 11-07-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the ground rod that is 20 feet away is the SECOND ground rod that is used by the telco. The ground rod for the house is actually 150' from the point of entry of the dish service.

Now what?

Screw the ground rod and buy a decent point of use protector?
post #9 of 15 Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Because my satellite dish is mounted under the roof eve, I'm not concerned about a direct lightning strike to the dish. No ground strikes will propagate through the incoming dish ground - it's not traveling through earth. I bucked the NEC rules, and grounded my incoming satellite dish ground to a cold water pipe. At least some grounding is required for the dish, to provide static discharge for the dish.

My irrigation controller and invisible dog fence are plugged into a point of use surge protector (Tripp Lite Isobar). If I could, I'd bond their ground wires to the house ground/rod, but it's about a 30 foot distance, across a 3 bay garage. I don't know if this SPD will be at all effective, in this manner, but it's what I've done. If we add a pool to the back yard, I'll trench the driveway, and bond all 3 to the house ground properly, at that time.

For a few hundred dollars, the engineer may provide some peace of mind.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-08-2013, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

I could run a wire from the dish to inside my outbuilding and tie into a ground in an electrical box for dish ground. I just figured all static electricity was dissipated through the home ground via my equipment ground and stuff. Should I at least ground the dish to an electric box or something?
post #11 of 15 Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Will these two units be good enough for point of use with my setup?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009RA60/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012YLTR6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I live in a rural area and have whole house surge protection at the meter. I have a water well which is concerning that something might come up from it in the ground which would be downstream of the whole house surge. I also have a lot of trees on my place so, nearby lightning strikes are not uncommon.

Or should I just go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SXZJKK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A36NY6MO5E7I8U

OR

http://www.panamax.com/Products/Floor-Models/M8-AV-PRO.php

Which has no regulation of course.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

As someone recently pointed out to me, earthing is an art.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/25526-lightingsurge-protection/page-2#entry204477

I think you should hire someone, knowledgeable and experienced. I think it could save you money and from future headaches.

post #13 of 15 Old 11-08-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

For point of use SPDs, I've bought Tripp Lite Isobars, the last couple times.

post #14 of 15 Old 11-08-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think you should hire someone, knowledgeable and experienced. I think it could save you money and from future headaches.

Id love to. The problem is that in my experience, MOST experienced professionals are about 20% more knowledgeable than I am, and 90% more lazy.
Quote:
For point of use SPDs, I've bought Tripp Lite Isobars, the last couple times.

I like those. But what's the difference between those and the EcoSurge AV protection they have that handles TWICE the joules? Its a serious question...smile.gif
post #15 of 15 Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Can anyone recommend a battery backup for a monster 3600 power center? I would like to plug in the Monster to the battery backup.. thanks in advance

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page