Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I've been thinking about our options; we have currently a 56" Samsung DLP (HLN567W) on a quality stand, maybe Bello(?). TV it was purchased in 2003 or 4 and seems to be on its last leg, I know that we could replace the bulb and get more life out of the box.

I have a 5.1 surround sound setup with Energy Connoisseur floorstanding w/ an HSU 10" subwoofer

--Considering options--
Wall is 10' x 30'
Viewing distance would be ~15', which seems like the Optimal seat on the basement sectional sofa. We are considering a projection system. I'm curious as to what thoughts are in regards to type of Projector, screen/wall (unsure of differences as far as quality)

My Step-dad has always wanted a 100" screen and I know there is such thing as a 92", I figure that perhaps we could just 'project' onto the wall to get as big a screen as possible.

Looking forward to hearing responses,
Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Bump?
post #3 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 131
What do you want to hear?
Yes, go for projection, keep a TV for daytime babble shows.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm really interested in what the consensus opinion is for the Type and Size, considering room size.

Thank you for your response
post #5 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Not enough info... Room size is a small factor. Seating distance, room layout, windows, light control, etc. Those are all more important. Is this your primary / only "TV" space, or a theater setting? Add a photo of the room showing the TV location, and then maybe you'll get some good advice...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 11 Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some photos to give you guys some ideas as to what I'm dealing with currently.

Thank you for the responses

It's 12' for the prime viewing distance, 11' for the sides that will also view and need to be taken into account

I'd say that I'm also interested to hear suggestions for how to display said projector, ceiling attachment?? And do I need a screen or is it sufficient to 'project' onto the wall?

I feel that I know there are different technologies that can be used for a projector; is there one type in particular better than others?

Lights are non-dimming overhead recessed incandescent lighting . Wall is 10' x 30'. Set will be used for movies AND tv.

It's a basement, no windows that affect picture quality. We have a 3D plasma upstairs w/ an all-in one surround sound center-channel-type from Bose. This is the 'Main set'
post #7 of 11 Old 11-28-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

How about as big as I could afford 4k set but with no budget constraints in mind what would be the optimum 'as-large-as-possible'??
post #8 of 11 Old 11-28-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

From 11-12' you could have 100"+ screen... Budget will probably come into play before then. biggrin.gif

PJ or not will probably depend on what this room get used for. Casual TV viewing / reading / kids playing / etc. - stuff you want ambient light on for? Or movie-watching. That would be my decision trade-off of a large flat panel vs. PJ. Ambient light thrown onto the screen degrades the image considerably. Yes, you can get silver screens to counter that - but a 80" TV is "simple", too...
2gully likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #9 of 11 Old 11-28-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Can you get the room close to fully dark? Projection likes a black room. With a 1080p projector, you can sit about 1 screen length back. So a 100 to 120" screen might be possible.

In most cases ceiling mount is best. Start projecting onto the wall to get an idea of ideal size for you.

DLP is fine if nobody sees rainbows (and you can place the projector in the ideal location). LiCOS (JVC/Sony) and LCD are other quality options. Do you want 3D? The projector (either under or over $3k as appropriate) boards will give the best projector advice.
2gully likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

We have, currently a 56" DLP that everyone sees fine, no issue which as a matter of fact creates doubt in my mind towards the "DLP/Rainbow" issue in the first place
post #11 of 11 Old 01-12-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gully View Post

We have, currently a 56" DLP that everyone sees fine, no issue which as a matter of fact creates doubt in my mind towards the "DLP/Rainbow" issue in the first place

The DLP Rainbow phenomenon is a real thing, but newer designs with faster switching between colors or using LEDs (your 56" may be an LED set?) makes it much harder to see them. Even if you can see it, it may not be bothersome. I could easily see rainbows on my first DLP RPTV, on my current LED-based set I can't. But when I say "easily", I could put up a test pattern and produce the effect, but under normal viewing, it was rare, and even then, never bothered me.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page