Basement Finishing Project w/ Projection Screen - AVS Forum
General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms > Basement Finishing Project w/ Projection Screen
ryan.timm's Avatar ryan.timm 10:17 AM 11-11-2013
I'm a long time lurker here that has been inspired by a number of threads and I finally have the ability to finish off my basement. I'm going to be hiring the work but designing myself and pulling the permits myself. I'm in Ashburn, VA in the DC area.

If anyone has time/interest please check out my plans I drew up in Visio and let me know if they see any glaring issues / omissions. I tried using sketch-up but the 3D modeling really wasn't for me. I ended up accidentally getting slanted walls all the time.

I'm trying for a 120-135" acoustically transparent fixed frame screen on a false wall covered with GOM fabric inspired by a thread here. I haven't decided on a projector yet but will wait until I get close to being finished and plan on being rather thrifty ~$1200. For audio I'm doing 5.1. Behind the wall I'll have 3 tower speakers (JBL890s) and a subwoofer (TBD). I have two surrounds (JBL L820s) one of which will be up high wall mounted on the ductwork that will boxed around. That isn't pictured but it runs in front of the bar area from the left side all the way to the furnace room.

I'm not doing anything for soundproofing. If I'm watching a movie it is okay if the whole house hears it. This basement is almost entirely underground with walk up stairs so no need to worry about lots of outside noise coming in or noise going out. I'm going to have pergo/laminate floors so I'll need an area rug to soak up some of the reflections and make it less live. Ceilings and walls will be typical drywall.

The seating will be a yet to be purchased L-shaped sectional and behind it will be a counter height table. I'm going for the center seat of the sectional to be the sweet spot for audio. You'll see from the plans that there is a lot of open space and no rear wall directly behind to reflect sound from or to mount surround back speakers on.

Thanks for taking a look!

-Ryan

Visio-Basement5.pdf 20k .pdf file
Attached: Visio-Basement5.pdf (20.5 KB) 

gatorchad's Avatar gatorchad 01:23 PM 11-11-2013
Looks good. I would say you are on the right track. Where do you plan to put your equipment?
Tedd's Avatar Tedd 07:11 PM 11-11-2013
The flip side to sound proofing is a low noise floor....

So why are you cramming in the bathroom, when you have 8' more of width?

And is that furnace right on the wall? Have you considered any future servicing of the furnace?
And have you read the furnace manual and established any clearances that it requires?
ryan.timm's Avatar ryan.timm 08:10 PM 11-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorchad View Post

Looks good. I would say you are on the right track. Where do you plan to put your equipment?

Good question. I think I'll put an equipment rack to the left of the screen behind the false wall. I am leaning towards having the rack visible to the outside for easy access to blurays and video game consoles. This should make it so I don't need to worry about an RF remote unless I want to control lights or something else with it. I'm not sure how close to the screen to have the equipment. I don't want the lights in the rack to be a distraction when watching a movie with the lights totally off.

I have lots of space off to the left of the screen and at one point I was considering stopping the false wall before the end of the room and sticking a dart board over there near the corner or something. Right now I'm leaning against doing that.

Thanks,

Ryan
ryan.timm's Avatar ryan.timm 08:27 PM 11-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

The flip side to sound proofing is a low noise floor....

So why are you cramming in the bathroom, when you have 8' more of width?

The drawing doesn't show it really well but the stairs are curved so they make an awkward space there that would be wasted on anything except a closet or bathroom. That column there is unmovable so between that and the funny angle of the curved staircase that limits my shower placement. The wife is insisting on a full bath with a shower even though we will probably never use it. She thinks the resale will be better for a 3.5 bath home than 2.5 +0.5. I gave in on that since she is letting me do pretty much whatever I want with the rest of the place smile.gif. You are right though I might need to go out another 6" or so wider depending on the toilet fixture size. I don't want to be hitting the bowl when the door swings in.

That space back there will probably be all gummed up with toys (my son's legos and cars) so making the bathroom "cozy" makes more play area.

And is that furnace right on the wall? Have you considered any future servicing of the furnace?
And have you read the furnace manual and established any clearances that it requires?

Good catch, that is an artifact of my poor drawing. I think there is actually around 6" but not enough to walk behind. Luckily the service panel, filter, and humidifier all open up towards the HW heater. I haven't read the local codes on clearances but I'll def. have to do that before framing. Thanks for the heads up on that.

-Ryan
Tedd's Avatar Tedd 06:08 AM 11-12-2013
I was more thinking about expanding the bathroom's foot print and adding to the storage
space.

ryan.timm.JPG 90k .JPG file

I wouldn't put the equipment rack up front, unless it was done like BigMouthinDC
where the gear isn't seen. You could employ an inexpensive infrared repeater system
with the infrared receiver placed up front, under the screen.
Attached: ryan.timm.JPG (90.3 KB) 
ryan.timm's Avatar ryan.timm 08:51 PM 01-20-2014
I am almost done with the framing and rough in. I still need to build the false wall. I just got my Elite Screens 135" acoustically transparent screen in. I didn't modify the design much except to shorten the bar and have the vanity and toilet trade places. I also had to nix the recessed lights in area between the bar and the bathroom because there are lots of overhead ducts and exhaust pipes.

Here is the progress:

Up
Mobile  Desktop