Small & angled living room: TV or projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In my old place I had a large living room with an Epson HC8350 projecting on the wall, right above an old (HD) 32" CRT TV. It worked very well, however we moved and I'm trying to rework the plan.

The new living room is smaller, the walls are more of a light beige cappuccino color, and more importantly, the room is trapezoid-shaped. The couch and the opposing wall are almost at a 45° angle to each other.
  • Don't ask me about installing it in the basement or elsewhere, because it's a 1 bedroom rental :-)
  • I can't place the couch alongside the parallel lines of the trapezoid, the room layout doesn't allow for that.
  • As part of the move I got rid of the huge, heavy, no-digital-inputs CRT TV
  • I don't know if we'll stay there beyond one year, so I'm not planning on making any huge investments.
  • I'm a casual TV viewer, I care more about movies and dramas.
  • I don't care for 3D.

I see my options as:

1. Buy a new, basic ~36" TV for casual viewing, plus a used pull-down projection screen that I'll mount to the ceiling parallel to the couch. My concerns are mounting in a rented apartment - I've never done ceiling-mounting before, do I use a stud finder as with walls? (I'll also have to ceiling-mount the projector or install a shelf for it... more drilling.) Also given the layout, the screen might end up being less than 10ft away from the viewer.

2. Sell the HC8350 and buy a 56"+ TV. I will miss the projector but I wonder if it's the right solution for the place. No screen, no drilling, and of course the TV is easier to angle...
This also brings an entire new set of questions: I got my 8350 for $1,050 and love it. Is it financially wise to sell it or stash it? Its eBay resale value is $800-1,000, but new ones seem to go for no less than $1,300. A new HC2030 (which doesn't have lens shift) goes for $1,000.

I know that some of the advice may depend on the actual dimensions of the room, I'll try to upload a diagram tonight. For now I'm just bouncing ideas... For now we're watching TV on a 14" CRT, so any option will be an upgrade ;-)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
For a small apartment that you're not planning on staying in for years, I'd say go with a 40-55" TV, which could later be used in a secondary location (bedroom, etc.) at your "next" place. And if you're not going to use the projector, sell it immediately. They don't "age" well from a resale perspective, and a year or two from now, you could apply that money to whatever your situation could best use... Be it a new projector or a big LCD.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've had a series of projectors in condo living rooms as my only TV for the last 8 years. I don;t watch much TV actually, mostly movies - and a 72" pull-down (or up) screen is cheap. I used a portable tripod one for a while. When you do move again, do you want to have the projector? Yu can easily make it work for your TV - as long as you can keep the room dark.

I currently have an 8350 sitting on top of a 5' tall cabinet adjacent to my couch. Love the lens shift.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is the sketch of the room layout:

As you can see if I mount a screen parallel to the couch, I'll have to be about 8.5ft away. According to ProjectorCentral that gives me an 87" 16:9 screen. Not too bad, but you can see my concern about the angles and about putting a screen so close to my nose.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
OK, not ideal, but could put screen flush to wall. Projector on a shelf near dining table. Not perfect, but it would work, and you already have it. In prior condo, I had a tripod screen that I brought out and I sat the projector on the table when I used it - it did cut down on TV/movie watching.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
OK, not ideal, but could put screen flush to wall. Projector on a shelf near dining table. Not perfect, but it would work, and you already have it. In prior condo, I had a tripod screen that I brought out and I sat the projector on the table when I used it - it did cut down on TV/movie watching.

I lived in a studio apartment for 1 year and used a Da Lite High Power tripod screen with an Optoma H79 projector shelf mounted. It worked just fine ! Still a much bigger better picture than a flat screen. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350