Entertainment Room Setup/Opinions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-11-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Putting together an entertainment room for the family.

Room Size: 17' 9" x 13'

Ceiling: 7' 10"

TV is about 10' from seating area.

I have an in wall cutout that I constructed to hold the TV with removable shelving on the left & right to put the Klipsch RF-52 II's and fit snug with an extra shelf on top. Below the TV in the center will hold the receiver and such; the left and right sides lift up for storage beneath. The center RC-52 II has plenty of room up top.

Will be running C&E CNE62270 12AWG wire to everything, 33' along the left and 22' along the right in the baseboard to the rears. All with Sewell Direct Deadbolt Banana Plugs.

I want to know about mounting the rear (Klipsch RS-42 II Surround) on the back wall or the side wall (keyhole mount) above the seating area for optimal sound? The sectional will be positioned as such in the diagram below against the wall.

Also, how will the RF-52 II's be affected being put into the wall shelving at the height pictured below?

TV

70" Sharp Aquos LED 1080p 120Hz Smart HDTV w/ Wi-Fi (Model #: LC-70C6500U)

Audio (Have not purchased yet)

Klipsch RF-52 II Tower Speaker x 2
Klipsch RC-52 II Center Speaker x 1
Klipsch RS-42 II Surround Speaker x 2
Sunfire SDS-10 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V675 Receiver

Budget: $2,000

Below are pictures of the room

Planned Future layout (Have not purchased sectional yet)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for looking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Bump for help regarding these questions, please.

"I want to know about mounting the rear (Klipsch RS-42 II Surround) on the back wall or the side wall (keyhole mount) above the seating area for optimal sound? The sectional will be positioned as such in the diagram below against the wall.

Also, how will the RF-52 II's be affected being put into the wall shelving at the height pictured above?"

Thanks

post #3 of 10 Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I think where you have them sketched on the side walls is about the best option. You will be running a room correction software? It should be able to take care of the lack of symmetry reasonably well.

I haven't used RF-52s, if they are front ported or sealed they should do OK - especially if at the front of the shelves. If back-ported, not so well.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-13-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

I think where you have them sketched on the side walls is about the best option. You will be running a room correction software? It should be able to take care of the lack of symmetry reasonably well.

I haven't used RF-52s, if they are front ported or sealed they should do OK - especially if at the front of the shelves. If back-ported, not so well.

I will be running YPAO-R.S.C. with the Yamaha RX-V675 receiver I have chosen.

The RF-52 II's look like they are back ported:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

In the position shown below the speaker will have about 3.5" in the rear and about 3/4" on each side of the speaker as well as all the room above the top shelf.

Will this help? Cutting a vertical slot in the rear right and left sides where the shelving is to open it up:

post #5 of 10 Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Yeah, I would not want to put those in an enclosed/semi-enclosed space. The more room around them the better. You should try them, but put them as far forward as possible.
It might work better if you shove some fiberglass insulation in the port hole. The issue is mid-base bouncing around all over the cavity before coming out into the room - not so much venting for air movement. Stuffing the port can kill some of that sound without altering the sound too much.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 633
If you put the floorstanders in the cavities at the sides of your TV and put the centre speaker above the screen, the tweeters of all three speakers will near the ceiling. Why would you do that when none of the listeners will have their ears up there?

Since the low frequencies will be handled by the subwoofer, I wouldn't bother with large tower speakers. Instead I would get three of the same (front ported) Klipsch bookshelf speakers, for consistent sound across the front soundstage.

Put the centre bookshelf in the middle opening below the TV and put the L/R bookshelf upside-down at the bottom of the openings on either side of the TV. This will put all three tweeters at roughly the same height AND around ear level. Electronics can go in the left & right openings below the TV.

If the budget permits, get another pair of the same (front-ported) bookshelf speakers for the back tri-corners of the room (where the back corners meet the ceiling).

Sanjay
post #7 of 10 Old 11-15-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the input.

I think I will go the route of putting a pair of Klipsch RB-61 II's (front ported) in the L/R side of the TV upside down as suggested. As well as put the Klipsch RC-52 II in the center area below the TV with a Marantz SR5008 receiver. I will also keep the Klipsch RS-42 II surrounds on the side wall. Lastly, a Klipsch SW110 10" Sub.

New diagram:

Audio (Have not purchased yet)

Klipsch RB- 61 II Bookshelf Speaker x 2
Klipsch RC-52 II Center Speaker x 1
Klipsch RS-42 II Surround Speaker x 2
Klipsch SW110 10" Subwoofer
Marantz SR5008 Receiver w/ Audyssey MultEQ XT

post #8 of 10 Old 11-15-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 513HTGuy View Post

As well as put the Klipsch RC-52 II in the center area below the TV with a Marantz SR5008 receiver. I will also keep the Klipsch RS-42 II surrounds on the side wall;
Sorry to hear it.

Sanjay
post #9 of 10 Old 11-22-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Sorry to hear it.

I cannot put the electronics on either side of the bottom openings because they lift up for storage per wife's orders. I can put the bookshelf speakers inverted on the L/R side of the TV shelving as suggested and put another set of RB-61 II's for the surrounds. I will keep the RC-52 II center. Will switch up the sub to a Rythmik Audio LV12R most likely.

post #10 of 10 Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Placed my order tonight for all my gear thanks to JD at AV Science and lots of help from Bond 007.

Denon AVR-X2000 Receiver

Two pairs of Klipch RB-61 II bookshelves for the fronts and surrounds

Klipsch RC-52 II center

Rythmik Audio LV12R Sub

Monoprice 12 AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Wire

10 pairs Monoprice Banana plugs (closed screw)

25 ft Mediabridge Ultra subwoofer cable

Pair of Videosecu speaker mounts

Everything well under budget of $2,600

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rc 52 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Klipsch Rf 42 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Sunfire Sds10 Black Ash 10 Inch 250 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page