GEC5741_Official_Basement_Build - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 206 Old 07-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Looks good Gec. I might have to steal your idea and put a box on the back patio. Looks like a nice install complete with conduit.

Not sure on your speaker choices, but if you plan to do an in-wall subwoofer...look into decoupling the wall before the drywall goes up. I'm fighting a few rattles.

I'm confused too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 206 Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post
Looks good Gec. I might have to steal your idea and put a box on the back patio. Looks like a nice install complete with conduit.

Not sure on your speaker choices, but if you plan to do an in-wall subwoofer...look into decoupling the wall before the drywall goes up. I'm fighting a few rattles.
Thanks! Yea I'm happy with how that turned out. Now I can get my lines out there easy.

As for speakers I don't know yet but I won't be doing any in wall so I should be ok. I'm hoping at least!

Last edited by gec5741; 08-01-2014 at 11:29 AM.
post #153 of 206 Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 92
So how is that box gonna work/look with the wires and speakers installed?

**It's been a long week so I might be just overlooking the obvious
post #154 of 206 Old 07-25-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
So how is that box gonna work/look with the wires and speakers installed?

**It's been a long week so I might be just overlooking the obvious
So basically for the coax and network I'm just going to terminate them right there at the box and just let them hang. So when I want to use them ill just connect cables to them and bring them to where ever the need to go in the yard when it's game/movie night. Network isn't that important since wifi would probably be ok for streaming movies but in case its not I can hard wire in. Eventually I'll bring speaker lines in through that box as well. There is a cut out in the bottom of the box so I could come out of the box and right into the ground with them. The plan is to probably go with some outdoor speakers that look like Rocks that can sit on the ground. Probably go with 2. It will just be for if were entertaining and want music out at the patio. I dont' have a patio yet so this is just for in the future I have the ability to get speaker lines out there. The big thing was the ability to get coax so I can bring the projector out to the back yard and watch early fall football or late spring Hockey! Need a way to get a cable box out there so now I have a way. When it comes to sound for movie or game night ill probably just get a decient pc setup for the sound. Will see. If that's not good enougjt then I'm sure I can do something similar with some speaker lines and use banna clips to connect to them. Again now I have a chase run to the back yard so all that I can figure out when the time comes.

Here's the coax line I terminated. Ill just use a barrel connector to patch to it. I need to get a keystone jack for the cat 6 line still.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140725_144901.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	180226   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140725_144831.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	180234  

Last edited by gec5741; 07-25-2014 at 01:14 PM.
post #155 of 206 Old 07-28-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation
post #156 of 206 Old 07-29-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Need a way to get a cable box out there so now I have a way. When it comes to sound for movie or game night ill probably.
You could try a network tuner like the Silicon Dust Home Run Prime or Dual, depending on what channel your teams are on. No need to bring a box out.

Media Room: Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Den: Samsung 59D6500 Plasma & Monoprice in-walls
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1(LR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2(BR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
post #157 of 206 Old 07-29-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

True. But for as often as I'd need to do this it's just easier to bring out a box. I live in the midwest so wouldn't get many football games do to the cold weather. Hockey would be my other sport to watch and could do so during the playoffs but those games would be on a certain channel and I'd most likely need a box to get that. Either way I'm thinking it would just be easier to bring out a box on the few occasions I want to use it. We'll see. At least now it's there if I do need to use it.

Last edited by gec5741; 08-01-2014 at 11:27 AM.
post #158 of 206 Old 08-12-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update time! No pictures to post unfortunately but I may have somehow found the fundage to get the drywallers over and get that knocked out! I put a call in with the guy's that originally gave me a quote. He is going to have one of his guy's (one of the guy's that will do the actual hanging) give me a call hoping this week to setup a time to come over and do a run through to tell me what all I will need to buy as far as sheets of drywall and tape and mud etc. They then will tell me their availability so I'm not sure when this will happen yet but I'm really hoping by the end of the month to have it done! Then it will be on to paint and flooring. So... to be continued...
post #159 of 206 Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, I'm getting there. I was really close to getting the drywall done but I seem to have hit a small speed bump. The guy who originally gave me a quote of $2100 to hang tape and mud the drywall came by last Sat to do another walk through and take some measurements and give me a list of materials to get. So I asked him straight up that the $2100 dollars was still the price and he said yes. So 2 day's later he emails me the product list and he also informs me that he needs another $1650. Needless to say I was a bit upset. I told him thanks but no thanks. I called the guy who originally gave me the quote of $2100 and who sent this other person to me and he told me that he will give me another guy's number that will do it for the original quote. But I'm still waiting to hear back from him. So now I'm really thinking of just doing it myself. I'm a bit bummed about doing it myself because it will take me longer to get it done. But on the plus side it will save me a few thousand bucks which I can put towards the carpet. So I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. But needless to say work will not begin this weekend as I had hoped. But I think I'll be able to begin the following weekend. I can probably get the ceiling done in 2 day's. Then the following weekend and maybe a few evenings be able to get the walls done. My wife's Uncle has offered to do all the tape and mud so that is huge for me. He has built a few houses in his day but of course it will all be on his time and he may not be able to get to it for a good month. So I keep going back and forth with doing it myself and just dropping the cash to get the job done. Still not sure what I'm going to do just yet.
post #160 of 206 Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Gec, I know the feeling of discouragement looking for a drywall guy. But after seeing the amount of time and attention to detail that goes into the entire taping/mudding project I would encourage you to keep looking for someone to at least do that part for you. I'm really impressed with the guy I have working down there but Chicago might be a bit far for him from southern Illinois.

Hanging it wasnt too bad with a drywall lift, and I would say go ahead and tackle that yourself too save a few dollars.

Good luck on the search!
post #161 of 206 Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks,

I know hanging it won't be too bad but I was kind of hoping to avoid doing it. Now I'm looking into the best way to hang it and like everything it's not as cut and dry as you would think. I have close to 9 foot ceilings down there so debating on how to hang the walls. I was going to go with 4 x 10 foot sheets. but if I hang it horizontal which I'd prefer to do then I end up with another seem at the bottom so more tape and mudding and a low seem isn't easy to work with. Now I could hang it vertical but I'm afraid to do it that way in case I have studs that aren't 100% in line with each other. I could be causing my wall to not be flat then. Also, did you end up glueing your drywall when you hung it? Now that I've insulated and stapled all the paper flush to the studs I've prevented myself from being able to glue.

As for the tape and mud my wifes uncle has offered to do that for me. It may take a bit longer to get it done but it would not cost me anything and I wouldn't have to do it. He has done it many times in his day. I'm still not 100% sure I'll do this myself but it's looking that way.
post #162 of 206 Old 08-20-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK not to do my impersonation of a yo-yo but I've gone from discouraged to excited in the last hour. I got a call back from the guy who was originally helping me line up someone to do the drywall. He is the one that originally quoted me my price for the hanging taping taping and mudding. He gave me the number of another guy that will do the job for the agreed upon price. This is what this guy does and he has a good crew that he works with. He's coming by tomorrow after work to take a look and can start as soon as this Saturday! So I may after all be getting this work done quickly which is great news. I almost feel guilty not doing it myself since I've done everything up until now myself but I really would like to get this part done and done much faster then I could do it in! Plus now the internet can rest a little easier since I won't be spending endless hours watching "how to hang drywall" videos!
post #163 of 206 Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

It is probably worth spending the money, especially now that it looks like it'll happen quickly.

Any moron can hang drywall. It takes a special kind of moron to mud correctly!
post #164 of 206 Old 08-25-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK guys I was going to post sooner but my network is down at the moment at my house. Well not all of it's down I should say. I have the Wifi working and could of grabbed my laptop to post I suppose but I was too busy all weekend with drywall! Yep the moment I personally have been waiting for, for the last 3 years has finally come. I have drywall! Three guy's showed up Saturday morning around 7am and got going insanely fast. They had the entire basement hung by 3:30!

So let's start at the begining. I got all the mat's for the job and got the drywall into the basement. Home Depot could not get the drywall to my house by Saturday Morning when I needed it so I rented a truck from them Friday after work for 19 bucks for the first hour then 10 bucks additional hours. It tood me 2 trips and only cost me 30 bucks to get it all back to the house and with my fathers and a neighbors help unloaded each load quickly into the garage. They wanted 60 for delivery so I saved a bit by moving it myself. So without further adieu here are some pictures of the process!

Shot of it stacked up in the garage.

Only took us 3 hours to carry it all down into the basement. That sucked!

Before shot of the media room.

After shot of the media room!

Looking out from the media room toward the bar area.

Another shot from inside the media room looking out toward the bar area.

Shot from the bar area looking down toward the kids gaming area.

This is a shot looking at the back wall of the bar where the sink will be.

The tape and mud started yesterday and the guy is there now at my house working on it as I write this from work. He will finish up tomorrow so I will be busy Friday night priming! Any luck I'll start painting next week. We have to finalize the paint colors but I think we are going with some nice grey's.

I never thought I'd get past this part of the build and I'm glad not to had done it myself! there is still much to do but I feel i'm over the hump and the fun stuff is in front of me. It's amazing the difference down there now having the walls up and not seeing the studs and insulation!

Stay tuned! More to come!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140822_201118.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	228889   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140823_015137.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	228897   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140823_080911.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	228905   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140823_101139.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	228913   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140823_190323.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	228921  

Name:	20140823_212446_LLS.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	228929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140823_212501_LLS.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	228937   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140824_131800.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	228945  
Matt2026 likes this.

Last edited by gec5741; 08-25-2014 at 08:30 AM.
post #165 of 206 Old 08-25-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow. Quite the weekend!
post #166 of 206 Old 08-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sweet Sweet progress.

I'm confused too.

post #167 of 206 Old 08-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just speed-read your extensive build. Nice! I'm starting one of my own in a similar space, particularly the sump pump issue. Did you have to create any kind of moisture barrier? I've never dealt with those before and was surprised to find out that the water is exposed rather than in a tank. Keep up the awesome work!
post #168 of 206 Old 08-25-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow! That escalated quickly. Looking good!
post #169 of 206 Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys! Yep the tape and mud and sanding will be done today so tonight I will be going home and start the clean up. Then tomorrow get the primer and this weekend will pick out paint. Question on the paint for the media room. Would an eggshell finish be ok or would that still be to glossy? I hate to do a real flat paint that is real rough to the touch. I hate that when the wall has a real chalky feel to it but I also don't want to cause problems with light glaring from the wall.
@alfordbt . As far as the sump pump goes I just framed a small closet around mine that I will be putting a regular door on. So no moisture barrier of any sort in my build for that. I am lucky I suppose with where I am. We get a lot of rain and snow living just below the Wisconsin boarder. But I am at the highest point about in my neighborhood and the way they graded our yards I get very little water in my pit. I mean it will have water in it but my pump won't go off on it's own very often. I'll go down there and kick it off myself from time to time just to do it and make sure the pump is still working but I always have a good 2 - 3 feet before it would be near the top of my pit. So water in my basement has never been a real threat at least where my pump is concerned. Now that I say that a water pipe will break and I'll flood!

So hopefully I'll have some more pictures to post when I get going on the painting this weekend! So stay tuned.

Last edited by gec5741; 08-26-2014 at 07:46 AM.
post #170 of 206 Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Would an eggshell finish be ok or would that still be to glossy? I hate to do a real flat paint that is real rough to the touch. I hate that when the wall has a real chalky feel to it but I also don't want to cause problems with light glaring from the wall.
I painted my theater in all flat paint. There's hardly any noticeable glare GREAT, but anything that touches it leaves a mark, SUCKS. I literally have to keep a wet LINT-FREE rag around to wipe off any smudge. If you wipe it with anything that already has lint or dust on it you have just exascerbated the problem. If I had to do it again, I would DEFINITELY go with an eggshell.

My First Build Ever in progress
post #171 of 206 Old 08-26-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! Yea that's what I was afraid of with the flat paint. I'm going dark in that room so I'll be going with an eggshell and call it a day!
post #172 of 206 Old 08-26-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My wife is now finally feeling that this basement is actually going to get done and is now in full steam ahead mode like me! She will not stop sending me links to bathroom fixtures and pinterest ideas! I think I may have created a monster!
post #173 of 206 Old 08-26-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Love that your wife is on board! Looking forward to more updates. Looks great.
post #174 of 206 Old 08-27-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My wife is now finally feeling that this basement is actually going to get done and is now in full steam ahead mode like me! She will not stop sending me links to bathroom fixtures and pinterest ideas! I think I may have created a monster!
redjr and quamosa like this.
post #175 of 206 Old 08-28-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Clean up has been on going since the tape and mud was finished on Wed. Unfortunately my AC went out the day before yesterday so I got a bit side tracked fixing that. the fan motor blew. But that is taken care of and it's up and running again so I'm back to the basement! I must say this clean up as been quite the job but I'm getting there. I'm planning to start priming Friday. I'll post progress pics then. Provided the wife and I have paint picked out the plan is to start actual paint by Sunday so I hope we can figure the paint out asap! I really would like to get paint on the walls so i can get all my outlets hooked up. I will be extremely happy to be done with extension cords down there!

Also I plan to put in an order with Mono Price for all my keystone jacks and face plates and everything I need to FINALLY finish up my network rack! I cannot wait to tighten up those lines and terminate everything into the rack so I don't see all those cables just randomly hanging there! Oh and also I need to stain the AV rack and make that all look pretty So hopefully this weekend I'll have some pictures to post of painting progress. I really want to get my speakers and jukebox hooked back up so I can have music to listen to down there again!
post #176 of 206 Old 08-28-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
gec - Very nice progress. I'm down to 3 primary remaining tasks; (1) finish the drop ceiling in the rec room, (2) install 2 more doors, and finish some trim work. I was hopeful the carpet would be in before the upcoming long weekend, but now it looks like it won't be here until Tuesday at the earliest.

Speaking of drop ceiling... I would have never guessed that would be such a challenge! The media room/office space is done, but I discovered at the last minute local code required me to use 12 gauge wire and a full 3 turns on the wire. What a PITA that is to work with - especially if you're working in a very limited space like I am. About 4". I had to hunt far and wide until I found a special tool, made in Canada, and not even available yet in the states - the Serpent Wrench. What a life saver it's been! I'll probably never need to use it again! I had the inspector out just to make sure he was happy with it, and he said, "that's the best wiring job I've ever seen". I then showed him the tool.

Anyway, I'm ready for this project to be over so I can get moved in! I've been displaced out of a normal office since we moved last year and want my space. Once it's all set up I'll take some before and after pics to share.

Keep up the good progress.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

Last edited by redjr; 08-28-2014 at 09:52 AM.
post #177 of 206 Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Welp, you passed me...I need to catch up! Looking good!

My Theater Build

Equipment List: Epson 6030, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front wides, DefTech DI5.5R Atmos overheads, Grafik Eye 3106....more to come
post #178 of 206 Old 08-29-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I snapped this photo on my way out the door this morning so not sure how well it will show up here but this is potentailly the paint colors that we are going to go with throught the basement. Like I said were going with grey's. The screen wall and ceiling above the screen will be the darkest of the grey's out of these. Then a few accent walls will be dark also in key locations. The wife has a pretty nice wood Idea for a wall in the bathroom so will see how that turns out.

I worked late last night to get things cleaned up. tonight I am going to just hit a few little places with some mud and fill in a few minor spots then Saturday morning I'll be ready to prime it all. Any luck I'll be painting Sunday and Monday since it's a nice long weekend!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140829_065619.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	234617  
Matt2026 likes this.
post #179 of 206 Old 09-02-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK I was trying to hold out on posting any pic's until the painting was done but I just had to put a couple up. So I had the primer tinted to the light grey that is the color the Ceiling will be (or is now I should say). I spent Saturday and Sunday all day with my father getting the primer on every wall and ceiling down there. Then Yesterday we spent 6 hours putting 2 coats on the ceiling. I'm glad to say the ceilings are done! Tonight I'm going to begin the walls in the bar room. I painted the back screen wall and the ceiling above in a dark grey color and tonight first thing I will be putting the second coat of that on. Then Wed I hope to get the media room walls done. They will be a darker grey then the rest of the basement but lighter then the screen wall. The bar area and other walls will be a bit darker then what the ceilings are. I hope this coming weekend hopefully I'll get the rest of the basement painted. Man I really didn't think it would take me so long to get the paint done!

This will look better when the side walls are painted! Also it's an eggshell finish but it looks very glossy because it is wet in this picture. Looking forward to getting home and painting the second coat and see how it turns out.

When I have more done with the walls I will post more pics. Right now it's just very light grey down there!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140830_144255_LLS.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	242578   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140830_144312_LLS.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	242586   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140901_173034_LLS.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	242594  

Last edited by gec5741; 09-02-2014 at 12:41 PM.
post #180 of 206 Old 09-09-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update time! I've been busy painting for the last week and a half. I'm close to being done. I still have the stair way to paint and couple little odds and ends. I spent last night going around the entire perimeter of all the ceiling areas and edging it nice and straight. I got all my switch cover plates on also.

Basement tip time!
If you plan to get your electric wired up before doing drywall make sure you take your switches out of your boxes before you cut your drywall. I did not and the drywall was cut larger then it should be. So what this did was make my switches be set back in the wall to far for the cover plate to match up with the switches!

So how to fix that? I found these little gems at my local home depot. They are called Ideal spacers and they work great. They are 1/8 little sections that fold up accordian style. You just tear off how many you need and screw them in behind the switches and they bring them out to where you need them.

Few crisis solved!

Here is a shot of the media room all painted up. I did a dark grey on the back screen wall and ceiling above. the rest of the walls are a lighter but still darkish grey. I think this will be good for keeping the light from washing out the screen.

Also thanks to xfinity and the ability to now watch tv online I was able to have Week one Monday night football's double header on for my listening pleasure! Can't wait to get my TV's and projector too but it's kind of cool that I can do that

I'm planning to get my outlets all hooked up tomorrow night or at least most of them. I need to get some sleep because I've been working late nights trying to get things done. Need to maybe take a few nights off here but it's hard to do that now!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140908_222233.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	254258   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_222258.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	254266   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_224923.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	254274   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_223111.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	254298   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_233235.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	254322  

Name:	20140908_184840.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	254354  
Matt2026 likes this.

Last edited by gec5741; 09-09-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page